Objectivism Online Forum

What Does This Mean?

Rate this topic

eternal_blindness

What does it mean when Howard Roark explains o Austin Heller that he doesnt feel any tension when he is working?

Quote:

Heller: "Your one inch from bursting into pieces. What in hell are you really made of, Howard? After all, it;s only a building. It's not the combination of holy sacrament, Indian torture and sexual ecstasy that you seem to make of it."

Roark: "Isn't it?"

That always got me. I mean, I think I have a profound feeling of what it means, but not 100%.

I didn't take it as Roark feeling no pressure, but as Heller not understand how seriously Roark takes his work. I think Heller justs think of a person's job as a way to make money, while Roark think that a man's work is what defines him as an individual.

That quote reminds me of something one of my ex-bosses once said to me after glancing over the job I just did. "Eric, it doesn't have to always be so perfect, installing a remote starter isn't creating art. Nobody's ever going to see how neat your job is, so it doesn't matter." It matters to me and it matters to Roark, though.