Objectivism Online Forum

Crazy Talk Land

Rate this topic

:pimp: how do you do, good people of the Objectivist forum!

A friend directed me here because we have many a discussion about Philosophy and such unimportant (or are they important?) topics!

He's the objective one though...I'm just here for the ride. He's heavily influenced by Rand and I'm heavily influenced by....no, it's not Kant...Jung :P

If I don't change my mind about much, try not to :devil: ...I am very curious about Objectivism, and I am starting to read Atlas Shrugged (which same said friend bought me). At any rate, I will see you around the less restrictive areas of the forum (some of these rooms have SO many rules)...for at least a little while.

:P how do you do, good people of the Objectivist forum!

A friend directed me here because we have many a discussion about Philosophy and such unimportant (or are they important?) topics!

He's the objective one though...I'm just here for the ride. He's heavily influenced by Rand and I'm heavily influenced by....no, it's not Kant...Jung :P

If I don't change my mind about much, try not to :devil: ...I am very curious about Objectivism, and I am starting to read Atlas Shrugged (which same said friend bought me). At any rate, I will see you around the less restrictive areas of the forum (some of these rooms have SO many rules)...for at least a little while.

1. Are you actually confused about whether philosophy is an important topic?

If so I would reccomend taking some time to consider other thoughts you have and what makes them important but philosophy unimportant.

2. "Rand" is not an acceptable way to name the founder of Objectivism. "Miss Rand" would be far more appropriate.

3. What attracts you to Karl Jung? Do you consider him to be just as rational as Miss Rand and if so why?

If I don't change my mind about much, try not to :pimp:

Are you impying we will take your disagreement emotionally and if so do you feel proper grammer and rationality on your part will avoid this?

1. Are you actually confused about whether philosophy is an important topic?

If so I would reccomend taking some time to consider other thoughts you have and what makes them important but philosophy unimportant.

2. "Rand" is not an acceptable way to name the founder of Objectivism. "Miss Rand" would be far more appropriate.

3. What attracts you to Karl Jung? Do you consider him to be just as rational as Miss Rand and if so why?

Are you impying we will take your disagreement emotionally and if so do you feel proper grammer and rationality on your part will avoid this?

1. Uhm, not really...sorry about any confusion. It was a jest.

2. Then I appologize, I did not realize. I often refer to intellectuals by simply their last name. If I had been addressing her in person I would have definetly said "Miss Rand", however, I'll keep that in mind for this forum.

3. I did not choose Carl Jung specifically for rationality, but because, when applied, his psychological ideas worked for me. I don't claim that this is the path for everyone, by any means, but I often suggest it because it worked so well for me. His views often intuitively melded with my own, and so I found myself agreeing with him in many subjects. Not all, but enough to cite him as a major influence in my life.

4. It's only my first language, I'll get better :pimp: Again, it was a joke...and, just in case you didn't catch it, the first sentence after the number 4 was too :devil:

I strongly disagree. There are more personal contexts where it is appropriate to refer to her as "Miss Rand", but in an academic discourse it is unprofessional to use such labels. This board has mixed purposes so is would not be rude to refer to her as "Miss Rand" as it would be to do so in serious scientific writing, but you have to allow the possibility that some readers and writers here give her the respect that they would also give to Kripke, Putnam, Descartes and Einstein.

I am very curious about Objectivism, and I am starting to read Atlas Shrugged (which same said friend bought me). At any rate, I will see you around the less restrictive areas of the forum (some of these rooms have SO many rules)...for at least a little while.
Feel free to ask questions after you have done some reading.

• 1 month later...

Don't listen to this guy. This is what happens when reason stops and idol-worship begins. Address her however gets the ID across, as that's all saying "rand" is... AN IDENTIFICATION SO WE CAN BE ON THE SAME PAGE. If you want to start fights over etiquette, go elsewhere. I think objectivists are the least kind of people that stand for that kind of dogmatic crap.

Or at least I hope so here. :pirate:

2. Then I appologize, I did not realize. I often refer to intellectuals by simply their last name. If I had been addressing her in person I would have definetly said "Miss Rand", however, I'll keep that in mind for this forum.

Mashimaro, on this issue, the forum rules state only: "This forum will not tolerate rude or insulting comments about Ayn Rand, her philosophy of Objectivism, the Ayn Rand Institute, the representatives and supporters of the Institute, or the adherents of the philosophy."

Referring to Ayn Rand solely as "Rand" hardly seems rude or insulting, so I think you're fine. When it comes to questions of forum etiquette, you should read the forum rules, and if you still have questions, ask a moderator. While the moderators are not the last word, we usually do a good job answering such questions. The last and only word on forum rules rests with the site owner.

You may consider what other members tell you about rules, but their words are not authoritative and should not be taken as representing the site ownership or administration. It is not advisable for regular members to tell anyone to leave or to make seemingly authoritative pronouncements about forum rules.

I hope that helps clear things up for you. Welcome to the forum.

This is what happens when reason stops and idol-worship begins.

Being respectful of a person who represents a great value to you reflects neither an abandonment of reason, nor idol-worship. And this site does promote etiquette amongst it's users. Be mindful that you are on someone else's property, a property that has rules of participation and conduct, and govern your behavior accordingly.

Welcome to the forum Mashimaro, I hope that you find the answers you seek, I myself have already found many in my short tenure here (though most of my answers came from Miss Rand's books, happy reading). You will find that every member of this forum is reasonable (minus the occasional troll whom will usually be disposed of quickly) and that as long as you respect the boundaries there will not be a problem.

I myself do not qualify as an objectivist (Thomas Aquinas is slightly higher on my list of influences than she is), but I have become something of an ally of theirs on political and ethical issues, mostly because of my high respect for reason. Unfortunately you will find that most philosophers out there either despise reason or try to redefine it as it's opposite. Miss Rand is a true advocate of rational thought, and I hope you will keep an open mind to her writings, for they is much in them that you can profit from.

GOOD GRIEF -- this guy comes into our clubhouse and wants to learn more about it, and gets criticized for referring to Ayn Rand as "Rand?" GET A GRIP. It is common practice -- accepted practice -- to refer to most celebrities (be they intellectual, political, Hollywood, or other) by only their last name. We refer to Hume, Rachmaninov, Freud, Streisand, Bush, Limbaugh, Lennon, Clooney, and such by only their last names, for instance.

GOOD GRIEF -- this guy comes into our clubhouse and wants to learn more about it, and gets criticized for referring to Ayn Rand as "Rand?" GET A GRIP. It is common practice -- accepted practice -- to refer to most celebrities (be they intellectual, political, Hollywood, or other) by only their last name. We refer to Hume, Rachmaninov, Freud, Streisand, Bush, Limbaugh, Lennon, Clooney, and such by only their last names, for instance.

Remember that it was StarBuck whom leveled the criticism and no one else, in fact, most of the posts following StarBuck's criticism were counter-criticisms. I think we are doing a decent job at welcoming him to the forum, minus StarBuck's somewhat pugnacious response to his first post.

Some of the neatest people I have met have described themselves as Objectivists. So, too, have some of the most ill-mannered and thoroughly obnoxious people I have run across. Personally, whenever someone expresses an interest in ideas with which I agree, my default position is to assume the best about the person and not the worst. So I too welcome Mashimaro.

If I don't change my mind about much, try not to :)

Good for you about not changing your mind about much. More often than not, that is a good sign that a person takes the thinking he has done seriously. Obviously there are occasions when enough evidence has been presented on a given matter that intellectual honesty requires a person to change his mind about something. But one should always be a bit cautious about people who have a track record of changing their minds too quickly and too often.