Objectivism Online Forum

A First History For Adults

Rate this topic

ScottP

Greetings Ayn Rand Fans:

Objectivists believe in the value of history. Unfortunately, despite the vast quantity of historical work that has been done in the modern era, grasping the broad history of Western civilization, and thus substantiating that belief, has never been harder. History stretches over 5000 years, and involves three major phases of development: Ancient, European, and American. The sheer volume of information that one must study to integrate this progression is staggering, if it is not presented properly.

That's why I've created "A First History for Adults." As a historian and teacher at VanDamme Academy, I struggled like everyone else with the task of integrating the myriad facts that clutter conventional works. It took me years of professional effort to develop a proper pedagogical approach. Now it's ready, and it's available to anyone with a phone! It's a three-part course on the history of Western civilization, both comprehensive and accessible. And it's offered in a once-weekly format that fits into your schedule. I invite you all to visit my site for more information: www.powellhistory.com.

Regards,

Scott Powell

[email protected]

Scott:

Greeting from Toronto. You product seems so cool! Thanks. If only I had the time. I look forward to any book version you may write. Please do.

Actually, maybe you can refer me to some books. I am currently very interested in prohibition, the history of organized crime, and the history and methods of policing in America since its birth. Do you know any good books?

Jose Gainza.

Jose:

Thanks for your post/questions. Regarding the time commitment that the course would require, let me just tell you that it only involves about 1.5 hours a week. I plan for lectures to be one hour, with a brief question period, but each session seems to go nearly 1.5 hours, given audience enthusiasm. It is actually part of the course design that it doesn't ask for too much of the students' time, knowing full well how hard it is to fit everything in these days.

I intend at some point to create a definitive recording of the course and offer it as a taped or on-line lecture series. At that point I will surely advertise it on this forum, but for now I plan to focus on live sessions.

As for books, I have to say that the specific topics you mention are very delimited, and I have no expertise in those areas. My focus is on the general history of Western civilization.

Regards,

Scott

[email protected]

Scott:

Greeting from Toronto. You product seems so cool! Thanks. If only I had the time. I look forward to any book version you may write. Please do.

Actually, maybe you can refer me to some books. I am currently very interested in prohibition, the history of organized crime, and the history and methods of policing in America since its birth. Do you know any good books?

Jose Gainza.