Objectivism Online Forum

Inglewood, CA votes against WalMart

Rate this topic

Guest bartwart

Guest bartwart

It frustrates me to no end how these so-called community activists use language of class warfare and slavery into scaring people into voting against free-interprise. Capitalism improves everybody's life, including the poor, by making the pie bigger, so to speak. When will they realize that free markets are not a zero-sum game?

EDIT: Whoops! This post belongs somewhere else.

[Fixed - MB]

Guest bartwart
Yes, bartwart, this sort of thing has been going on for years... Walmart often has to deal with activists before building.

What I find most disgusting is that people presume a right to vote on it.

I believe the Inglewood city council was going to rezone the area so that Walmart could not build on it, but WalMart actually started the ballot measure to thwart their obstructionism. Unfortunately, the heavily unionized town voted against WalMart. Super Walmart would have been one of the only grocers in Inglewood -perhaps the only one- not to employ unionized labor.

The fallicy of unionized labor, while supposed to protect jobs, actually drives them away. If Inglewood wants to continue living in poverty and paying too much for their goods then let them.

Walmart should start construction and then take this argument all the way to the supreme court.

I would be willing to bet that the Supreme Court wouldn't hear it... or would rule against Wal-Mart. This sort of thing has happened many times over, and, if Wal-Mart’s lawyers thought they could win the case, it would be on the docket already.

Walmart should start construction and then take this argument all the way to the supreme court.

If they do that they will be arrested.

It's clear that Wal-Mart's not wanted in Inglewood. A shame because Wal-Mart has much to offer any community.

It's clear that Wal-Mart's not wanted in Inglewood. A shame because Wal-Mart has much to offer any community.

Not so... It is clear that they are wanted, which is why the protestors are so desperate to keep them out.

If they were not wanted, than all the nonsense about killing local business is absurd. If nobody would shop there, than there is no reason to protest. B)

Not so... It is clear that they are wanted, which is why the protestors are so desperate to keep them out.

If they were not wanted, than all the nonsense about killing local business is absurd.  If nobody would shop there, than there is no reason to protest. B)

I agree, but there must have been something that motivated the protesters.

Of course. Duh! Anti-capitalism!

But it was their Zoning Authority that ultimately snubbed Wal-Mart, was it not?

In contrast, I served on a Design Review committee (of our town's Planning and Zoning) that reviewed our Wal-Mart application. I chaired that committee, and I actually persuaded Wal-Mart to utilize their "localized" store architecture such that the store fit nicely into the community's aesthetic! Against a hale of protesters, I spoke at the public hearing about how we were so successful in getting Wal-Mart to adopt to this.

Our town's Planning and Zoning unanimously voted in favor of Wal-Mart.

Wal-mart is one of the best things that has happened to our town.