Objectivism Online Forum

America's Greatest Sports Moments

Rate this topic

The Wrath

I think this is an appropriate time for a thread like this, given the fact that the olympics are going on.

1.) Keri Strugg overcomes a sprained ankle to win the gold for the US team in the '96 olympics.

2.) US beat Russia in Hockey.

3.) A fan from the stands suits up to play for the injury-stricken Aggies in the 1922 Dixie Classic, spawning the phrase "The Twelfth Man."

Okay, as an Aggie, I'm a little biased on that last one...but I definitely think it deserves a place in the top 10.

1. The Boston Red Sox, down 3 games to 0 in the 2004 ALCS:

a. Game 4 -- Facing elimination, down a run in the bottom of the 9th, Dave Roberts makes "The Steal", Bill Mueller hits him home, and the Sox go on to win in the 12th off a David Ortiz home run;

b. Game 5 -- Facing elimination, down 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th, Ortiz homers and Jason Varitek hits a sac fly to tie it up. In the bottom of the 14th, Damon walked, and later Ramirez walked with two outs. Ortiz (there he is again) fouled off eight two-strike pitches before putting a single into center field to score Damon and win, ending the longest two-game stretch (26 innings in 11 hours) in postseason history;

c. Game 6 -- Facing elimination, having to win the next two in the Bronx, well, I'll just quote the article: "Pitching on a dislocated ankle tendon held down by three sutures put in the day before, [Curt] Schilling gave up one run over seven innings as the Red Sox beat the Yankees 4-2 Tuesday night to save their season for the third day in a row and force a winner-take-all Game 7 for the AL pennant and a trip to the World Series. A series that was three outs from a sweep on Sunday is now tied 3-3";

d. Game 7 -- After all the nail-biting tension of the last three games, the Sox put up 6 runs in the first two innings and never looked back. The Sox won 10-3, which was the first time in major league history, and only the third time in 400-something attempts in the four major sports, that a team came back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series.

Another biased one-

Superbowl XXXI

-Brett Favre throws a touchdown pass on the first pass play of the Green Bay Packers offensive touch. He always plays to the best of his ability. He always plays HIS style of game. And he plays for the LOVE of the game.

While I wasn't impressed with this year's superbowl, the Steelers deserve some mention for being the sixth seed and taking out the 1,2,3 combo in the playoffs onroute to being superbowl champions.

2004--Baylor beat Texas A&M in overtime by going for a 2 point conversion.

Perhaps that doesn't really rank among the best, but it was still a good sports moment. While I was naturally disappointed in the outcome, I respect the balls that it took to go for 2, instead of being safe and kicking an extra point.

I also regard this year's college championship game as being one of the best football games that I've ever watched. Once again, however, I would have preferred a different outcome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Vince Young scrambles for the game-winning touchdown on 4th and 5 with 19 seconds left to give Texas the national championship. Hook 'em horns!

And, of course, as mentioned --- USA defeats Russian in hockey, 1980. The movie "Miracle" was great, by the way. It really portrayed the events well.

Another great USA sports moment: With stellar goaltending by Mike Richter, the United States defeats Canada in a best of 3 series at the 1996 inaugural World Cup of Hockey (formerly the Canada Cup). After dropping game 1 (due to two questionable goals by Canada :thumbsup: ), USA wins back-to-back 5-2 games to take the series. Mike Richter puts on one of the greatest shows by a goalie ever in international competition.

Another biased one-

Superbowl XXXI

-Brett Favre throws a touchdown pass on the first pass play of the Green Bay Packers offensive touch. He always plays to the best of his ability.

That's the truth. This might be more appropriate for a "Green Bay's greatest sports moments" thread, but I have got to bring it up, because I still get chills thinking about it:

Monday night, December 23rd, 2003. Brett Favre surpasses Fran Tarkenton for career touchdowns the day after his father dies. On the Pack's fourth play from scrimage, he throws a touchdown pass that was in the air for at least 55yds. He ended the game just 3 passing yards short of his all-time high (402), 311 of which were in the first half.

Some people thought he might break his starting streak that night. Instead, he comes out with one of the best games of his career. The whole team played better that night, and all of Green Bay bay was in awe. Er, at least, I was.