Objectivism Online Forum

Valentine's Day

Rate this topic

Originally from Myrhaf,

I've always looked at Valentine's Day with a jaundiced eye. It's silly. Cupid flying around shooting people with arrows? Chocolates in a red heart-shaped box? "Be my valentine"? Do these things celebrate passionate love or trivialize it?

Valentine's Day is for people who are not in love. They can compartmentalize their love to February 14, get it out of the way and return to their gray, passionless existence the other 364 days of the year.

Now I see that Islamic fundamentalists are attacking Valentine's Day. Damn them. They'll make me defend the holiday. If they hate Valentine's Day, then it must have some merit.

Originally from Myrhaf,

I've always looked at Valentine's Day with a jaundiced eye. It's silly. Cupid flying around shooting people with arrows? Chocolates in a red heart-shaped box? "Be my valentine"? Do these things celebrate passionate love or trivialize it?

Valentine's Day is for people who are not in love. They can compartmentalize their love to February 14, get it out of the way and return to their gray, passionless existence the other 364 days of the year.

Now I see that Islamic fundamentalists are attacking Valentine's Day. Damn them. They'll make me defend the holiday. If they hate Valentine's Day, then it must have some merit.

Sounds like the words of a psychotic hermit (with a jaundiced eye). Whether Valentine's is a celebration or a trivialisation is down to the individual. The content of this post insults everyone who celebrates valentines day, regardless of why or how they go about doing that (I think sex is the best way). Having said that, I agree that valentine's is silly. Why should one's romance it be any more exceptional than the other 364 days of the year? But I think those who celebrate it are just misguided, not "not in love". Sweeping statements like that are overgeneralised and offensive.

Originally from Myrhaf,

You have to look at the celebrants of the holiday itself to determine, whether or not the holiday reaffirms the love that they already have throughout the year, you cannot just make the blanket statement, the generalisation that "Valentine's Day is for people who are not in love" reagardless of context.

Dr. Michael Hurd:

http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=4134

from ARIMedia, Gary Hull writes in an article titled "Love and Selfishness":

"Valentine's Day--with its colorful cards, mouth-watering chocolates and silky lingerie--gives material form to this spiritual value. It is a moment for you to pause, to ignore the trivialities of life--and to celebrate the selfish pleasure of being worthy of someone's love and of having found someone worthy of yours."

from ARIMedia, Andrew Bernstein writes in an article titled,"Valentines Day: A Celebration of Self-Esteem":

"So on this Valentine's Day celebrate your romantic relationship, but also remember to celebrate yourself and the self-esteem that makes it possible for you to love and be loved."

Originally posted by Martin Lindeskog from EGO,

From the article, Saudi lovers suffer blues over red roses:

Valentine's day is a bonanza for florists around the world. But selling red roses is complicated in Saudi Arabia, where religious authorities tell young people not to imitate western culture, especially when the celebration is related to a Christian saint. (FT.com, 02/13/06.)

I wonder if the members of the American Family Association are aware that Valentine's Day has its roots from celebrating the god of fertility...

Here is a quote by Dwayne Bell:

It seems it's much more important to Christian totalitarians to not fall behind the Islamic totalitarian tyrannies in the world. Not only are the AFA and its supporters completely unconcerned what living under a religious dictatorship would be like for our children and grandchildren, it would appear that this is their ultimate goal.

In light of the fact that internationally right now the U.S. is siding with Islamic thugs over the Dutch free speech activists, do we have long to wait for similar violence domesticly from totalitarian Christians? (
BodyInMind.com
, 02/11/06.)

Recommended reading: My post, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

• 11 months later...
Sounds like the words of a psychotic hermit (with a jaundiced eye). Whether Valentine's is a celebration or a trivialisation is down to the individual. The content of this post insults everyone who celebrates valentines day, regardless of why or how they go about doing that

Sweet merciful crap, son, where are your manners? Try actually reading Myrhaf's blog instead of insulting someone you know nothing about. He a nice guy and his post was good-natured ribbing.

Shame!

V-Day can be a lot of fun! Unless of course you're snowed in without someone you want to celebrate the day with. :confused:

Of course, it's a lot more fun than normal when you're snowed in with the someone you want to celebrate the day with.:)

• 1 year later...

People will be giving roses away this week.

But I will not be giving my Rose away,

on this Valetines Day week.

Since last Friday, my life, as well as my writing, has changed unexpectedly. My daughter...my daughter (I love saying that) she knows that I am her father now, finally, and I actually can talk to her now, since she's 5 and old enough to understand and hold a small convo. The reason why I wasn't able to before, had to do with my how ex and I are very uncompromising in regards to my daughters welfare, which is why I had divorced her a while ago. But, anyways, yesterday when I called, I was asked to consider giving my little Kaitlyn Rose away to her stepdaddy, so that he could adopt her as his own since she's been living for years with them - and my response was NO. I don't care if it would add much $$ to my wallet - that title of being her Father, of being in her life, is worth everything to me - what's a few hundred extra a month, compared to that? Right. I have ruthlessly fought for my hard-won solitude right now (which I am so proud of myself on in winning, considering how difficult it was as times to focus on my own words, instead of, say, someone else's, and many other things I fought hard against to win some time and quietude) in order to write and read in an attempt to create a paper trail that would one day lead my daughter and I together again, but her knowing who I am now, changed that up some, and so yesterday, I looked around me, and saw just how much I'd fought for all this quietude, solitude, all the nothing that surrounds me here now - reaffirming that she really is my everything, and that I still very easily would not trade a moment of that in exchange for my little Rose.

I love you Kaity.

Happy Valentines Day!

I'm celebrating it by not giving my Rose away. (and keeping everyone else even further away, in order to continually preserve and reserve your permanent place in my life for you). I only care about being a good guardener for my Rose. My little flowerhead, sleeping in her flowerbed, needs her nettle right now, me.

I'm glad that you've talked to your daughter, intellectualammo. I know how badly you want to be a part of her life and I sincerely hope that comes to fruition.

I do take exception to the fact that you don't seem to want anyone else in your life, in order to leave room for her. (Or perhaps I misunderstood??) I think it's very important for children to be exposed to successful relationships, both friendly and romantic. What better way for you to be a positive influence on her life?

I do take exception to the fact that you don't seem to want anyone else in your life, in order to leave room for her. (Or perhaps I misunderstood??) I think it's very important for children to be exposed to successful relationships, both friendly and romantic. What better way for you to be a positive influence on her life?

Absolutely agree.

Plus it is a false dichotomy that one is exclusive of the other. Affection for somebody else (friend, lover, another child) does not take away from the affection for your child.

Absolutely agree.

Plus it is a false dichotomy that one is exclusive of the other. Affection for somebody else (friend, lover, another child) does not take away from the affection for your child.

I agree to, but it would take away from my writing, that's where the exclusivity really lies. I do have one such affection, and don't let it take away from the affection I have for my daughter and not allowing it to take away my focus much, or my time, or my money; I must be ruthless with my decisions with them, in order to achieve my writing goals and being a great parent to her. I'm basically one track minded and so I have to make sure the right train of thought is running along it in order to reach my intended destination. Unless there is a train wreck or something, nothing will interfere with that, for I think I am a good conductor, now. When tragedy had struck my life years ago, it threw me off track! I've only been trying to get back on, that's all. I'm finding my way, with all the reading and learning that I have done. I went from not being able to write a line to hundreds and hundreds of pages. Now that I am talking to my daughter, things will probably change some, but that's only if I am still playing a direct part in this stage of her life, a role I was dying to play. About 3 1/2 years ago, I was caught crying, and at that time I was living at someone's house that they had just bought, and I told her why I was when asked and her response was "Get over it already". Such insensitivity, among other things, has kept me pretty private and closing the door on others in my life, or keeping it slightly ajar for others. So instead of crying, I've been writing, working through it that way. I at one time was even hypergraphic, and it affected my work at the hospital, so I had to take time off (128hrs of PTO time or so) in order to write a 90 page novel, that still has much that I have to add and work on, but my literary passions, whether writing or reading, are very wild and nearly all consuming, though goal oriented.

Not to be rude, but how does any of this belong in a Valentine's Day thread?

Well, I connected it all together, though it's was only loose on the romantic end of the holiday. The imagery of people giving away Roses to show their love (in a romantic way), while I am not going to give my Rose away to show my love (in a fatherly way) was something I just couldn't resist posting. I thought it was relevent enough, if not, then I was wrong.

Uh, for those also not wanting to lose their Rose, looks like spying is up around Valentine's Day -- you know, of course, because they trust each other so much :huh:

However, I do think it is good that there is a special day to focus on romance, though I agree that one ought to be romantic all year round with one's lover. But I would not recommend spying on them. After all, if I found someone was spying on me to keep track of where I was and what I was texting, I'd try to have her thrown in jail for violation of privacy. And if I felt like I had to spy on her, then I wouldn't bother being in a relationship with someone I had to keep an eye on.