Objectivism Online Forum

Seeking fake happiness

Rate this topic

Styles2112

Well, I know that drug use isn't pursuing values because there is no achievement involved which suits the requirements for man's survival. But I'm having a hard time to see why recreational activities (let's say... skydiving) suit the same need. Aren't they providing enjoyment for their own sake, so you can reward yourself and refresh yourself to tackle productive work again? That's why I brought up drug use, because it could be used to the same thing.

Aren't they providing enjoyment for their own sake, so you can reward yourself and refresh yourself to tackle productive work again?

I'm confused by the wording in this sentence. Are you listing two purposes for recreational activities; 1) enjoyment for their own sake (hedonism) and 2) refresh yourself for productive work? Or does that later part simply explain the first part?

Unlike drug use, many other activities (say sky-diving) usually require one to develop skill sets, mental conditioning, or physical improvements to their bodies which can be useful in other facets of their life. Getting "stoned" to reward yourself is like saying, I'm going to "reward" the successful use of my reasoning by obliterating it.

That said, if a person can use heroin without physically or mentally harming themselves, more power to them. I just don't have to include them in my social circles. (which are admittedly small to begin with :) ) Part of my moral judgement of other people's behavior is to do what's best for my life. Heck, I don't even enjoy being around drunk people anymore, much less people strung out on psychotropic

There may be folks out there who can use heroin (for example) and not be addicted, or not be mentally messed up, or not be physically harming themselves, but I haven't seen one yet. It is generally considered a highly addictive drug. All of the people I see (that I know of) doing heroin spend most of their time walking streets, stealing, hooking, sleeping on sidewalks, etc. This is not what I consider to be the life of a man.

Recreation, such as hobbies and sports, engage the mind and/or body in life-affirming exercises, and so are not simply pleasurable. Evaluation of them is not based on merely the fact that they provide pleasure. The same standard should be applied to food, drink, and drugs.

Certain things, such as drugs, can be pleasurable without being life-affirming in any way. These are, IMO, dangerous; especially since they all seem to provide intoxication as part of the package.

They’re not bad because they provide pleasure without achievement; that just means that they should be approached with caution and used to supplement, not substitute, for the other things life has to offer. Unfortunately, most “drugs” have side-effects that far outweigh any possible benefits. I don’t think anyone in a normal context has any excuse for using marijuana, for example. And certainly not heroin.

I am not against alcohol, however. You can have a few drinks and not become intoxicated (i.e. “drunk”). As long as you know your limit (and don’t get “drunk”), it can be a great pleasure to add to your life. Witness Blacksabbath: he is a veritable connoisseur of whiskey and he has never been “drunk.”

Personally, being a supertaster, I can't enjoy most Alcohol: it tastes godawful to me, so for the most part I don't drink any. I've certainly never been drunk and have no desire to ever be.

Edited by Inspector

Personally, being a supertaster, I can't enjoy most Alcohol: it tastes godawful to me, so for the most part I don't drink any. I've certainly never been drunk and have no desire to ever be.

I remember testing that bitter chemical in high school, I may actually be a non-taster.

Anyway, I think the point that drugs (and even alcohol) are dangerous enough not to be a suitable form of entertainment to is very apt.