• Read it occasionally
    • Hardly ever read poetry
    • Don't really care for poetry
  2. 2. How do you prefer Poetry?

• When I read aloud
    • When I read it silently
    • Listen to someone else's recitation
    • None of the above

Today, I found a web-site that has a lot of recordings of poems, fiction etc.. It's called LibriVox. I haven't checked out the recordings yet, but from what I can tell they're all done by amateurs and in the public-domain. (Assuming the poem itself is old enough that it is out of copyright.)

I just now listened to a really great recitation of "IF", at this site, by a reader called Chip. He's an older man with a gravelly voice. Every nuance and vocal shading of every word is wonderfully done.

I just now listened to a really great recitation of "IF", at this site, by a reader called Chip. He's an older man with a gravelly voice. Every nuance and vocal shading of every word is wonderfully done.
Ha! I listened to it just minutes before reading your post. I wish the the site should allow visitors to rate the recordings.

Today, I found a web-site that has a lot of recordings of poems, fiction etc.. It's called LibriVox. I haven't checked out the recordings yet, but from what I can tell they're all done by amateurs and in the public-domain. (Assuming the poem itself is old enough that it is out of copyright.)

I just had to look for Shakespeare's Sonnet #116! Found it! There is only one recitation though that I particularly liked, one read by Martin Clifton. If you've ever seen/read Sense and Sensibility you'd understand...

I just had to look for Shakespeare's Sonnet #116! Found it! There is only one recitation though that I particularly liked, one read by Martin Clifton. If you've ever seen/read Sense and Sensibility you'd understand...

Of the men readers I, too, like Martin Clifton best, but I like Karen Savage's reading best of all. To me, she has more fully made this poem an expression of her own.

Of the men readers I, too, like Martin Clifton best, but I like Karen Savage's reading best of all. To me, she has more fully made this poem an expression of her own.

My judgement was primarily based upon fitting myself with the proper voicepiece...how I would express it since I don't have a good reading voice of my own yet. He was my best choice out of all of those readers for my expression.

As far as the person who has "fully made this poem an expression of her own"...Kate Hudson as Marianne in S&S, hands down! She expresses it so strongly in fact, that she puts all her remaining strength into just a few of its lines, and collapses afterwards. Now, that's personalizing the sonnet and fully making it an expression of her own!

Edited by intellectualammo

Kate Hudson as Marianne in S&S

Whoops! That's Kate Winslet! Winslet!

Anyways, she recites another poem in the movie when she enters her sister Elinor's bedroom. It took me a bit of time to find out where it was from. It was from Hartley Coleridge's, Sonnet VII. I'm mentioning this only to further illustrate how Marianne connects those lines together with her own experiences, which makes one beautiful picture to watch while she's drawing it for us!

In this particular scene, I get the impression that she was off screen reading this sonnet in another room, and then when she came upon the first six lines of it, she began drawing from it, and wanted to show her sister her drawing... The very first line of that poem "Is love a fancy, or a feeling? No." is important to her, because she wonders what her sisters answer would be, esp. in regards to Edward Ferrars. Marianne has such passion for reciting poetry...she even openly criticizes (to her sister and mother) the way Edward reads poetry...for example this quote is taken from the S&S novel by Jane Austen: "To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such a dreadful indifference!"

Edited by intellectualammo

My judgement was primarily based upon fitting myself with the proper voicepiece...how I would express it since I don't have a good reading voice of my own yet. He was my best choice out of all of those readers for my expression.

I don't think I'm contradicting myself here, but I thought further about what I said and I think that if I were to ever read this the way that I would want to, I would obviously have to use a male voice (thus my choice of Clifton over the others), but it would have to be read, including some of the stresses that Savage brings to it. After reading this line "O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark", I would be seen showing the inside of my bottom lip...

Edited by softwareNerd

• 3 weeks later...
Today, I found a web-site that has a lot of recordings of poems, fiction etc.. It's called LibriVox.
Just wanted to add that the site has many more poems than are apparent at first glance. Some poetry collections appear in the catalog as a single line, e.g. "Short Poetry Collection 001", but these collections have multiple poems.