Objectivism Online Forum

New Chat Room

Rate this topic

One thing I think is that it can't be found, which is presumably a temporary glitch.

There's a "live chat" link under the top banner. Right there between Blogs and Help.

I only wonder what you (David) want the chat to be for? Why is the chat format better than the forum format? The only answer I can find is that it is faster. And I wonder if that is even an advantage.

So: What purpose does the chat have?

I must admit, I've never chatted before, because I always found it pointless. So I'm biased.

Edited by Felix

Pretty cool, David ... I'll have to come back when there's some activity. :)

If you stay logged in (at the cost of having an extra window open) it is likely to stop other people from getting this same idea and ending up with a dead chatroom. You don't even have to be around to chat all the time, the mere presence of other people is often enough to keep people checking in.

If you stay logged in (at the cost of having an extra window open) it is likely to stop other people from getting this same idea and ending up with a dead chatroom. You don't even have to be around to chat all the time, the mere presence of other people is often enough to keep people checking in.

Actually, this might not be possible. I think there is an idle timeout limit.

I am still working on the layout. Try now.
It's good: stays in its own corner, doesn't cover up "search". But what happens when the number of users is more than... 2?

[Ed: the answer is, it becomes illegibly dark blue, at least using my skin]

Edited by DavidOdden

I was trying out different background colors :)

You can add the chat user listing you see in the top right corner to your site:

<iframe src="http://www.objectivismonline.net/chat/whois.php" height="70" frameborder="0"  scrolling="no" allowtransparency="0" width="220"></iframe>

What resolution is your desktop?

1280x1024. And now I've tried stretching the window to the full screen width the banner no longer obscures it.

There's another problem though. If the user list length exceeds the size of the user list box, you cannot see all the users except by "scrolling" by highlighting and dragging downwards on the text.

That's intentional. It looks better without the scroll bar, and I figured the important thing is to let people know that the chat room is active - to see the details, they can click on the link.

I spent a few hours in the chat room last night and had some highly enjoyable conversations. The format allows you to actually converse with people, as opposed to an internet forum, where you can only discuss/debate with them. For those who haven't tried it already, I highly recommend stopping in.

I only wonder what you (David) want the chat to be for? Why is the chat format better than the forum format? The only answer I can find is that it is faster. And I wonder if that is even an advantage.

Okay, I've changed my mind. When there are enough people active and a discussion started going, the chat is just great. You reach solutions very early and I think that you sometimes can answer questions better because of more direct feedback. As far as I see it: The chat is a success already.

Some of the conversations from the last few days of Chat have been:

• Love and Dependency
  • Determinism and Free Will
  • Healthcare in Britain and the US
  • Who will take care of the disabled in a free-economy
  • Homosexuality

And of course it's been fun getting to know other members a little better.

Are there (straight) men who see Cirque du Soleil on their own, not because of a girl?
How could I forget that one.

The impromptu discussions are fun. It would be nice, in addition, to collect a listn of topics and schedule specific times for some of them.