Objectivism Online Forum

'Moderate' Muslims-not Very...

Rate this topic

In a poll carried out by ICM this week in the UK amongst UK Muslims 40% said they wanted Sharia law to be the enforced in districts with a predominately Muslim population. Also, 20% said they had "sympathy with the feelings and motives" of the London suicide-bombers of 7/7/05 (though they said the attack was unjustified-very magnanimous of them, I think :) ) and 1% said it was ok to bomb London. 7% said that Western society is "decadent and immoral and Muslims should seek to bring it to an end, if necessary by violent means.

Yet, not only is tax-payers' money being wasted on a Government task force to "connect with Muslim communities" but a member of Parliament on the task force has blamed our (the West's) wars abroad and has said,"We have to make a big effort to bring these people into the mainstream". - Why? Why should any effort be wasted on this portion of the 'community'? These people do not respond to reason and a large part want nothing to do with western values at all. Reaching out and bringing them into the mainstrteam invariably means sacrificing another small part of our hard-fought for rights as the left seems incapable of any stance other than a 'strategic(!) withdrawal' in the face of cultural hostility from the Muslims.

Sir(!) Iqbal sacranie, of the Muslim Council of Britain, said,"the results on Sharia Law reflect the degree of importance many British Muslims attach to livling by an Islamic code of morality".

If the people in the 40% want to live under Sharia Law then there are plenty of places around the world in which to live under that particular yoke and to see the true 'benefit' of that type of society. But yet again we have to endure the hypocracy of those Muslims crying out for Islamic 'rights and traditions'' whilst enjoying life under an economic and political system that is inimicable to those same Islamic demands.

In a poll carried out by ICM this week in the UK amongst UK Muslims 40% said they wanted Sharia law to be the enforced in districts with a predominately Muslim population. Also, 20% said they had "sympathy with the feelings and motives" of the London suicide-bombers of 7/7/05
You have my profoundest and most sincere sympathies for your loss. It is funny, in a twisted way, how so many of them yearn for the free life that western civilization offers, so that they flee the hellholes that they were born in, but then they forget all of that in favor of re-creating the Islamists crapistan that they fled.

I'm not going to say that moderate Muslims don't exist, but the contention that most Muslims are moderate is absolute crap. I work with 2 Muslims and one of my best friends from high school was a Muslim...all nice, personable people. Naturally, we don't see eye to eye on everything, but that doesn't stop us from being friends.

I think that most of the moderate Muslims live in this country. Muslims over here tend to be decent people who just can't let go of their upbringings. Muslims in other countries want to force others to live by their standards. This is evidenced by the above poll, the cartoon riots (which happened just about everywhere Muslims lived except this country), and elections in Iraq and Palestine.

After thinking about the situation regarding how moderate (ie. tolerant) people of faith (not just muslims) are I came to the conclusion that , perhaps due to the irrationality with which they view the world, they tend to act like children, or young adults, in that they try to push the boundaries of acceptable behaviour, and like those not-fully-developed people, when they find constraints (laws and rules firmly and fairly upheld) against radically bad behaviour most will assume a fairly unassuming, middle-of-the-road approach to their outlook on life.

Those who find themselves unconstrained in such a way do tend to find themselves straying farther and farther from toleration and towards extremism.

This applies to militant muslims, abortion-centre bombers, "freedoom-fighters" (terrorists) who fight for no freedoms but to do what they want - and the more lenient a society is towards intolerable behaviour when it first rears it's head, the more prolific and more extreme the reactions from these groups when they get a (any) excuse to (sometimes literally)explode into action.

You know the women aren't allowed to vote, don't you?
Yes. Does that mean they are not allowed to participate in a survey in the UK? I wouldn't be surprised.

I work with 2 Muslims and one of my best friends from high school was a Muslim...all nice, personable people. Naturally, we don't see eye to eye on everything, but that doesn't stop us from being friends.
Just for the sake of curiosity, what do they say about the fatwa declaring a death sentence for Salmon Rushdie? And what do they say about the fact that women are legally subordinate to men under Islam?

Yes. Does that mean they are not allowed to participate in a survey in the UK? I wouldn't be surprised.
This took some digging, but here's a possible surprise. The raw numbers indicate (p. 14) that support for imposing Shari`a is stronger among women than men: 41% women support vs. 39% men, 38% of women oppose vs. 45% men. This is consistent with the general pattern that Muslim women are more culturally conservative.

Just for the sake of curiosity, what do they say about the fatwa declaring a death sentence for Salmon Rushdie? And what do they say about the fact that women are legally subordinate to men under Islam?

I have never discussed Salman Rushdie or women with the 2 that I currently work with. However, all 3 of us work on a terrorism research grant. So, they are doing their part against Islamic terrorism and, on more than one occasion, I have heard them condemn the actions of terrorists in the Middle East. Granted, they don't do it often, but neither do I...this is because we work in a setting where we deal with it constantly. Only when something particularly bad comes up, do any of us issue an out loud condemnation. One of them was rather upset by the Mohammad cartoon and refused to look at them...the other one didn't really care. They both, however, have stated that the reactions to the cartoons are ridiculous.

I haven't talked to the high school guy much lately, but from previous conversations with him, I know that he is opposed to the subjugation of women. How he reconciles this with the Koran is beyond me, but he is married to an apparently liberal Muslim woman from Egypt. He also firmly supports separation of church and state.

Edited by Moose

• 2 years later...
I'm not going to say that moderate Muslims don't exist, but the contention that most Muslims are moderate is absolute crap. ...
I suppose it depends on how one defines "moderate". Here's a Gallup survey that claims that "About 93 percent of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims are moderates and only seven percent are politically radical, according to the poll, based on more than 50,000 interviews." while also saying that "In majority Muslim countries, overwhelming majorities said religion was a very important part of their lives -- 99 percent in Indonesia, 98 percent in Egypt, 95 percent in Pakistan."

HT: Totten

This took some digging, but here's a possible surprise. The raw numbers indicate (p. 14) that support for imposing Shari`a is stronger among women than men: 41% women support vs. 39% men, 38% of women oppose vs. 45% men. This is consistent with the general pattern that Muslim women are more culturally conservative.

That doesn't surprise me. Unconfirmed anecdotes contend that women play a bigger role in spreading and enforcing religions because, when they are given less legal authority, they derive their power from the moral/familial realm.

-Edited for clarity

Edited by FeatherFall