Objectivism Online Forum

A Scanner Darkly

Rate this topic

Felix

Hmmm, a character holding The Fountainhead in a film centered around drug use & government surveillance, based on a story by Phillip K Dick ...

I'm going to guess this will be a positive plug for Objectivism.

a%20fountain%20darkly.PNG

(© 2006 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.)

... maybe not ... :confused:

Edited by synthlord

Only people who already know Ayn Rand will notice the connection. Nobody is going to go out and buy the Fountainhead based on one glimpse of the cover in a movie.

I think that negative attention towards Rand is better than no attention. In the event that the movie goes into more detail about TFH/Rand, the "negative" part will be discarded as irrelevent by viewers. They will assume that if it warrants being brought up in a movie, then it must be an important book, and will go and get a first-hand opinion.

Edited by iouswuoibev

They will assume that if it warrants being brought up in a movie, then it must be an important book, and will go and get a first-hand opinion.

One hopes! :confused:

I'll probably go catch this one; even though I'm not crazy about P.K. Dick's super-paranoid sense of life, I must admit that I like the contrived stories and speculative set-ups.

Only people who already know Ayn Rand will notice the connection. Nobody is going to go out and buy the Fountainhead based on one glimpse of the cover in a movie.

Now that I think of it, it might actually, if they've heard about the book before and this sighting jogs their memory...

Hmm... For some reason Trailer 2 didn't work on my computer. Trailer 1 did though... Oh well. It seems like an interesting concept, if not a bid overused. It looks as though Keanu Reeves is getting his fill of SF roles in movies lately.

Edited by Myself

Hmm... For some reason Trailer 2 didn't work on my computer. Trailer 1 did though... Oh well. It seems like an interesting concept, if not a bid overused. It looks as though Keanu Reeves is getting his fill of SF roles in movies lately.

Had the same problem. You need the latest version of QuickTime installed.

"I'll tip my hat to anyone who can bring so much integrity to evil." - Robert Downey Jr's character in A Scanner Darkly.

Does anyone but me associate that with Dominique Francon telling Elsworth Toohey nearly the same thing in The Fountainhead?

"I'll tip my hat to anyone who can bring so much integrity to evil." - Robert Downey Jr's character in A Scanner Darkly.

Does anyone but me associate that with Dominique Francon telling Elsworth Toohey nearly the same thing in The Fountainhead?

Which passage are you thinking of?

Which passage are you thinking of?

I don't have my copy of TF on me right this second, but I can remember many times in which Dominique and Toohey exchange verbal barbs and sort of spar communication wise. I sort of remember exchanges where Dominique was like, "I'm so impressed that someone could be so completely, totally, and knowingly morally as morally bankrupt as you, Elsworth." (in response to some of the crap editorials that Elsworth wrote that were as anti-man as humanly possible). She never used the term "morally bankrupt" but I think she had said some things along the lines of, "I'm impressed that someone could write such ridiculous garbage with a straight face knowing full well what they wrote and its implications."

On each occasion when she made those barbs, Elsworth would almost always reply with a, "Thank you my dear" or some sort of formal acknolwedgement. At least that is how I remember things. Am I totally off my rocker here? Lol.

• 4 months later...
I just watched the trailers for "A scanner darkly". I really look forward to this movie, hoping it will somehow compensate for Matrix 2 and 3.

In trailer 2 you see a guy with The Fountainhead lying on his chest. Only for a short time, though.

If it follows the book, then the bit with "The Fountainhead" is meant as a dig at Ayn Rand and Objectivism.

"The Fountainhead" is specifically mentioned once in the PKD novel, and this looks to be a close following of that scene.

I wont give any specifics though.

Edited by punk

• 2 weeks later...

I did not see this plug necessarily as negative. Although the character that is holding the book is the weakest in the film, he is displaying it in hopes of changing the world. Given that he is an enjoyable character and no outcome is set for The Fountainhead's affect on society, this could only spark audience members’ curiosity driving them to find out for themselves.

I did not see this plug necessarily as negative. Although the character that is holding the book is the weakest in the film, he is displaying it in hopes of changing the world. Given that he is an enjoyable character and no outcome is set for The Fountainhead's affect on society, this could only spark audience members’ curiosity driving them to find out for themselves.

***Spoilers***

The line that goes with "The Fountainhead" goes something like:

He wanted to be found with a copy of Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" as proof that he was a superman misunderstood by the masses.

If you don't see the dig in that....