Objectivism Online Forum

The Enlightenment Test: Are You A Sheep Or Wolf?

Rate this topic

Take the test: http://www.transtopia.org/quiz.html My score:

"MEMETIC SHOCK LEVEL 03 (0-4): borderline Enlightened. Purgatory; the countercultural realm. The more interesting Atheists, Libertarians, Transhumanists, and Modern Satanists dwell here, together with other freethinking and politically incorrect types. Congratulations, you're just a couple candles short of Enlightenment! Keep honing those clearly present rational, taboo-smashing instincts, and one day you too might become an Enlightened Transtopian Master."

I got the same thing. I can't see how many of thoose questions have anything to do with the enlightment.

By agreeing with some of the stuff you are negating the idea "enlightenment" can even exsist and even if choose to be it wouldn't matter because we can't actually choose it.

I'm amazed you could even get through the quiz. I'm working on it now, and some of these questions are so stupid, I just want to throw up.

EDIT:

Here's my result: MEMETIC SHOCK LEVEL 02 (0-4): above-average. A mixed bag of genuine wisdom and deeply ingrained taboos & irrational hangups. The domain of either conservative or politically correct (armchair) philosophers and people who can't make up their frickin' minds (oh, and let's not forget the puerile LAMERS who hit 'score it' without changing/reading anything; you know who you are...). Limbo.

Assuming a perfect score would be to choose 'Yes' on all 35 statements, THAT would be the true "mixed-bag". Some of those statements were self-contradictory, contradicted other statements, or were simply unanswerable as arbitrary. I think my favorite was "The statements 'Knowledge is power' and 'Power comes from the barrel of a gun' are both correct." Yes, they're both correct, but they're also talking about two different senses of the term Power.

I think my favorite was "The statements 'Knowledge is power' and 'Power comes from the barrel of a gun' are both correct." Yes, they're both correct, but they're also talking about two different senses of the term Power.

That was the sort of problem I was having with a few of the questions upon trying the quiz last night. I didn't even finish because trying to figure out how to answer such things was giving me a splitting headache ;)

Edited to say: On the other hand, the site hosting the quiz included a clickable ad linking to this place. So there's a redeeming quality for you :)

On the other hand, the site hosting the quiz included a clickable ad linking to this place.

I'm not quite sure I appreciate that...

My evaluation of the site's creator:

RATIONAL SELF-INTEREST LEVEL 02 (0-4): above-average. A mixed bag of genuine wisdom & childish follies. Aware of Primacy of Existence; recognizes supremacy of reason & morality of self-interest. Understands concept of individual responsibility, but in denial about free will. Makes many epistemological mistakes. Often places hatred of evil before love of self. Reads too much libertarian propaganda re Iraq. Has potential but needs maturing.

It seems that the site is actually peddling another armegeddon story; ie their 'singularity.' It seems like the writers of the Matrix movies may have been highly influenced by this. Technology will improve to the point where 'Superintelligent' machines will dominate the earth and treat us the way we treat animals unless it turns out that a 'meta-ethical-golden-rule' exists such as 'treat every inferior the way a superior would treat you.'

So according to this group either mankind will be wiped out by his own benignly created inventions and a 'post-human' era will be ushered in or mankind must sort of graft himself onto his super intelligent machines in which case he will be united by some highly advanced information sharing web in which he will basically lose most if not all of his individuality (like the Borg I guess).

With options like these why even get up in the morning?

Guest RationalEgoist

I too received MEMETIC SHOCK LEVEL 02 (0-4)... The test questions were more frightening than reading some non-thinker's regurgitated garbage. At least they don't claim REASON and intelligence.

MEMETIC SHOCK LEVEL 03 (0-4): borderline Enlightened. Purgatory; the countercultural realm. The more interesting Atheists, Libertarians, Transhumanists, and Modern Satanists dwell here, together with other freethinking and politically incorrect types. Congratulations, you're just a couple candles short of Enlightenment! Keep honing those clearly present rational, taboo-smashing instincts, and one day you too might become an Enlightened Transtopian Master.

That was a shock for me. :wacko: