Objectivism Online Forum

Free Speech Campaign

Rate this topic

A mention in the John Hopkins News Letter.

Thanks for the link. I did post feedback on that article. I thanked the JHOC for what they had done, but about halfway through the article, this was written:

"However, President Dr. Yaron Brook and Senior Fellow Dr. Onkar Ghate of the Ayn Rand Institute, which advocates objectivism in America,..."

In my feedback, I mentioned to them that the Ayn Rand Institute advocated "Objectivism", not objectivism.

There is now an unveiling/panel discussion for Chicago, planned for April 25, 2006.

ARI Media..."What's New"

In case anyone is interested here is link that will allow you to make a donation to the Free Speech Campaign online...only $5 is the minimum, btw. Since more of these events have been added, like the Chicago event, it costs more.

I've been saying that "I, Too, Am Spartacus", but now I can also say that: "I, Too, ...donated"

Edited by intellectualammo

I know this Y.A.A.F.M. video from Zipperfish.net isn't about the campaign itself, but at least it gets to the heart of the issue. Be warned, it uses both vulgar and sexual language.

Edit: I think they may have attributed some Hindi quirks to Muslims by mistake. But, I am still laughing at what Reginald's father used to say (the accompanying pic is the kicker).

Edited by FeatherFall

Apparently I have been told that for the event tonight at NYU, all non-students cannot attend. ARI has sent out a press release in regards to this matter, and I was wondering if anyone here could possibly add it to this thread, or any sources to confirm what I have just been told.

I received the following from an email list to which I subscribe (run by an Objectivist)

Below is the Muslim's letter from the Nordish panel

It includes the email addresses of two officials at NYU. Are Muslims going to be the only ones who send them emails? Let's roll. We have just recieved this letter from Stop Political Terror one of our supporting organisations, by our sister Yvonne Ridley.

As of today, NYU is allowing the event to go forward as long as the cartoons are not to be shown. The public is now ABLE to attend the event and they are hoping that public pressure on the President of the University and the leader of Student Activities will get them to allow the showing of the cartoons. Their e-mail addresses are:

[email protected]

[email protected]

As of today, NYU is allowing the event to go forward as long as the cartoons are not to be shown. The public is now ABLE to attend the event and they are hoping that public pressure on the President of the University and the leader of Student Activities will get them to allow the showing of the cartoons. Their e-mail addresses are:

[email protected]

[email protected]

I received this just now in an email from ARI:

"Dear Subscriber,

Freedom of Speech needs your help. New York University is censoring the display of the Danish cartoons at this evening's panel discussion on free speech that NYU's Objectivist club has organized. We urge you to contact NYU's administration and let them know what you think about their display of cowardice and censorship. Hopefully, with your help, NYU's administration will reverse its disgraceful decision to clamp down on our right to free speech and let the event go ahead as originally planned.

John Sexton, president of NYU: [email protected] Bob Butler, director of student activities at NYU: [email protected]"

John Sexton, president of NYU: [email protected] Bob Butler, director of student activities at NYU: [email protected]"

I did just this. I emailed them both this:

"Please allow the cartoons to be displayed. When they aren't alllowed to be, NYU displays its cowardice and censorship of free speech."

"I,Too,...emailed"

Have you?

*edit...spelling

Potentially, the ability of a group of muslims to curb an event that a university would like to allow, but reigns in due to security reasons (a.k.a. fear) could stir up more press than a quiet, un-protested event. It gives us the opportunity to email NYU, it gets non-Objectivist bloggers picking up the story. I'm hoping this also increases the chance of mainstream media coverage.

This is what I sent:

(Larry Benson with ARI whom I CC'd thanked me.)

NYU Administration,

If it is not an issue of safety, know this: By censoring these cartoons, you are the arbiter, the instigator, and advocate of the destruction of all that you may hold dear as an American. Though the display of the cartoons and the event that they correspond to are under your sole discretion it is still a travesty to ban, limit, or dictate an event that is so very needed in these times and such an American display of freedom.

I urge you to think about the implications of censoring the display of the controversial "Danish Cartoons." If it is the safety of your university that you are worried for, I urge you to understand that it is your right to be free of violence and its use as persuasion. There are means clearly within your control that can guarantee you this right.

I again urge you to think about the implications of your actions. Fight to understand what it is you are advocating, and what it is that you are aiding the destruction of. In the name of all that is freedom and liberty, do not censor our voice and out right to it.

Sincerely,

Paden Weber

A Fellow American

I got a note from David Gulbraa at the Ayn Rand Institute about an event at NYU here on the east coast, discussing these anti-islamic cartoons, and I posted it in the NY forum on broadbandreports.com, but the moderators deleted it--both times. Apparently, there is a strong undercurrent of censorship in the region--either that or the forum operators are afraid of reprisals. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what happens at NYU this evening.

For anyone who has not seen this via one of the many Objectivist blogs, here is one person's account of the New York panel.

A thought: if people are going to be waiting in line, not admitted to these panels, the organizers should get a whole lot of the Undercurrent flier to distribute to those waiting outside or to anybody else who is denied admission.

• 2 weeks later...