Objectivism Online Forum

Prometheus Rising

Rate this topic

argive99

Someone who I respect recommended the book "Prometheus Rising" by Robert Anton Wilson. It was recommended for insight into behavioral patterns established during youth as well as biological/gentic influences. The ultimate goal being to change those patterns for self improvement. I read about the book on Amazon and see that it is loaded with mysticism and "alternative science" but the person who recommended it (who is not an O'ist) said to stick with it and its value will be apparent.

Does anyone have knowledge of this book or its author or the "Eight Neurological circuits" of Timothy Leary that it is based on? The book seems to be offering a philosophy of mind.

Thanks

Its one of the best books I've read, and I'd thoroughly recommend that you check it out. I wouldnt use the word 'mystic' to describe it at all; RAW tries to keep everything as 'scientific' as possible throughout, and while his ideas do differ somewhat from established thought, they didnt come across to me as being in any way irrational. I'd also recommend Quantum Psychology from the same author (and pretty much everything else he's ever written).

I havent read Timothy Leary's own exposition of the 8 circuit model, so can't really comment on that directly.

Its one of the best books I've read, and I'd thoroughly recommend that you check it out. I wouldnt use the word 'mystic' to describe it at all; RAW tries to keep everything as 'scientific' as possible throughout, and while his ideas do differ somewhat from established thought, they didnt come across to me as being in any way irrational. I'd also recommend Quantum Psychology from the same author (and pretty much everything else he's ever written).

I havent read Timothy Leary's own exposition of the 8 circuit model, so can't really comment on that directly.

Wow. Ok. That's good that he's scientific even though the introduction has all the stuff about "non-Aristotelian" logic, Christian Science, magic, and Yoga. That's what my friend pretty much said, that its scientific in the end.

Thanks

Wow. Ok. That's good that he's scientific even though the introduction has all the stuff about "non-Aristotelian" logic, Christian Science, magic, and Yoga. That's what my friend pretty much said, that its scientific in the end.

Thanks

Theres no advocation of either Christian science or magic in the book. There is a fair bit about yoga/meditation/psychology/etc, but his attitude throughout is always 'try it yourself and form your opinion' rather than 'believe what I say; it is true!'.

On a sidenote, I personally believe that 'non-aristotlean' logic (which he does talk about at length in Quantum Psychology, but not in Prometheus Rising iirc) is far superior to classical logic in most areas, although you have to understand that 'logic' in this context does not mean the same thing as 'logic' in Rand's writing (ie its referring more to symbolic logic and epistemology than 'the art of non-contradictory identification' and metaphysics)

You might not like his strong advocation of E-Prime however.