Objectivism Online Forum

An Objectivist Mmorpg

Rate this topic

tobyk100

www.darkfallonline.com

This is going to be the first Objectivist video game. It allows the player to do almost anything, and the economy is entirely player determined. Player owned and run cities, where you can set your own laws. People can break these laws but they can be killed by the government. You can kill anyone at anytime but face the repercussions.

BETA testing is going to start soon, check it out.

There’s alignment in Darkfall?

Yes there is. You start out with a neutral alignment, and based on your actions, this alignment changes. Turning evil is easy, although it doesn’t make for an easy life. Killing other characters unprovoked will get you there fast and this will make most guards, clans and other players attack you on sight. Changing your alignment towards good is a challenging and difficult process.

Not objectivist.

The game doesnt look terribly innovative, well designed or even very fun... but I've been wrong before.

I think I'll miss this one.

Edited by Matthew J

Let me reiterate.

In this game people are in charge. The game starts as a black space. Then people fill in this space.

Value is traded for value. There is nothing to protect you other then your own ability to use reason and logic to prtoect yourself.

How is that any different from any other MMORPG?

There is nothing to protect you other then your own ability to use reason and logic to prtoect yourself.

Except if one is a criminal (lawful evil, chaotic evil), which is viewed as simply a different, but valid way of life. Then one can ignore trading value for value and still progress their character.

Killing people has more serious repercussions than "the guards wont like you". Denying individual rights is more than a loss of Favor or Faction. A game in which being evil is fun or rewarding in the long run is simply not based on reality, reason or rights.

Edited by Matthew J

• 4 months later...

Darkfall looks like crap. It's more hype then anything actually promising. It looks and feels just like all the other MMORPGs

Copies of copies of copies. It's trying to compete with WoW by offering what WoW doesn't have, but it sacrifices artistic quality in the process. It's bland. When the world is left to the players is will turn into a world of who has the most force. The players don't stand or fight for the values or ideals there respective factions embody, rather phat loots and false glory.

It sounds good in practice, but the real world isn't like that. The real world's power is divided in spectrums of groups and individuals, religions and philosophies, nations and kingdoms, idealogues and political parties, warlords and prophets.

History is driving in circles and seas of blood are split in the name of these things. Some are trivial, some are the most important thing in universe.

The point is that everyone who fights, fights for a reason.

These fantasty MMORPGs usually lack this basic principle, it makes them bland, boring and kind of pointless.

• 3 years later...

The closest thing I've found to an objectivist mmorpg is Runescape. Players are allowed to use all skills, not just two; and all forms of attack/defense rather than specializing in a specific class giving players the opportunity for more self-reliance than WoW. However, the economy is no longer fully player set due to the problem of real world trading (trading actual money for in-game gold or items) and there's not much in the way of repercussions for evil acts. I guess no mmorpg is truly objectivist.

Edited by Acoma

How is that any different from any other MMORPG?

I think one of the things that may be different (and perhaps somewhat what he is alluding to) is that in many games, WoW being the foremost, acting as an individual is often less rewarding by game design than acting with a collective. Additionally, there are some artificial controls in WoW that seriously limit it from being a "free" market.