Objectivism Online Forum

Looking For A Good Essay

Rate this topic

I'm pretty sure this falls under Epistemology.

I'm looking for a good essay on the conditionality of love. I'm tired to going through the whole reasoning process when I'm arguing with people, and I'm prefer to just have an essay to link to. I've found a lot on the selfishness of love, but none on the conditional nature of it (eg, a refutation to the view that love is unconditional). I'm not asking anybody to look for me, but if anyone knows of one off the top of their head I'd be very grateful if you linked me. :)

A short answer I can think of is that love depends on values a person has. It is impossible to have one without the other. What unconditional love means is that you should love someone no matter what happens. This is a clear contradiction to the nature of love, because when someone destroys everything about them that is admirable and worth loving, then how can you expect to be loved? It's as irrational as the view of selfless love (I think it's just another instance of the same thing) and can be refuted by almost the same means. Selfless love is love devoid of values, and unconditional love is demanding that a change in someone's values not make a difference; both are an attempt to get hold of the unearned in spirit.