Objectivism Online Forum

"unan1mous" Reality Tv Show

Rate this topic

Spano

There is a new reality show by FOX beginning tomorrow, "Unan1mous", in which 9 people try to convince the group why they should receive the $1.5 million prize. According to the description from the link above, the prize amount decreases over time and contestants are perdiodically voted out of the money, but still remain to vote. For there to be a winner, all 9 contestants (including those who have been democratically barred from eligibility for the prize) must unanimously vote to award the money to a single person.

When I first saw a commercial for this show, my immediate reaction was negative: on what possible basis could a group of strangers decide who should get the money, other than by altruism? On reading the descriptions of the contestants, they have purposely brought together people who will get in fights, e.g. a conservative minister and a gay rights activist. While I am put off by a show where nobody has to DO anything to win, and expect a lot of mindless drama, I am a little intrigued about how the decision will eventually be made.

Is anyone planning to watch this?

Um, no.

My only basis is, well, I despise "reality" television. Even if I didn't, and I wanted to see a bunch of people compete to win money, I'd watch Jeopardy. Heck, even Distraction would be better for the soul than this travesty.

People can do what they want with their cash, and if they feel that personality-clash cage-match voyeurism is good television, they're well within their rights to sell the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel. But count me out.

I refuse to lend sanction to a waste of money.

Edited by synthlord

People can do what they want with their cash, and if they feel that personality-clash cage-match voyeurism is good television, they're well within their rights to sell the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel. But count me out.

Actually, the main reason tv networks love reality shows, is because 'actors' do their 'acting' for free, while sponsors put up the money. It's almost pure gain, minus some money for camera crews, and editing.

I used to occasionaly watch Survivor when it first came out, and the whole reality tv thing was still a novelty, but now I don't even do that anymore. Besides lack of depth, I find reality tv editing to be very manipulative, meant only to create an artificial twist.

As far as the "Unanimous", mentioned by the original poster, I saw a few spots for it on TV. One of the rules states that the decision who gets the money must be unanimous (hence the title of the show I guess). If I was on the show, I'd always vote against the group (unless the group would be voting on me) - and I'm sure all the other people would do the same. So unless there are any other incentives/rules against doing so, I don't see how anyone's going to walk away with the money... No, I don't plan on watching the show.

Edited by Eternal

I don't plan to watch this show. I tend to stay away from the vast majority of reality shows. I do, however, enjoy American Idol, The Apprentice, and Pimp My Ride a great deal. Are those even reality shows? I'm not sure on the proper definition. Basically, I like "reality" shows that feature people completing actual tasks and/or projects like singing or doing a business deal. Living in a house for a prize can hardly be called "reality." My roommate has also suggested a home makeover show ("Extreme Makeover" I think) in which homes are completely redone.