Objectivism Online Forum

Illustrators Union

Rate this topic

Nate_S

I'm an Illustration major at a private art institute. I've made my observations regarding the almost maniacally liberal climate within the student body, primarily the 'Fine Arts' majors and the large cult like association of the Fellowship of Christian Art Students which consists of a ridiculously large portion of the Student body. I usually don't concern myself with either.

There was a single isolated instance with a faculty member where I had to consult a third higher party to review my written work. I feared, and was accurate, in detecting a strong bias against my Objectivist views which finally resulted in an outright refusal on my part to adopt a cultural pluralistic view (which the course required) in assessing the information I was given. What followed was a series of litigation that I eventually dropped because it was so obsessive it began to interfere with my Illustration work. To think cultural pluralism is taught and mandated institutionally...

Aside from that I usually get along with my major specific professors. Until recently. During a lecture tonight a professor, who I had up till now strongly admired, expressed his desire for an Illustrators union that could in turn fix the rates demanded for Illustrative work. I've always felt that those who are incredibly successful in Illustration rightfully earn their dues through unique and innovative works that insist demand. Of course those who wish not to participate in the union and engage in their freedom to ask or receive what ever payment is issued to them would have to face the mob-like opposition and whatever tactics the mob would employ as necessary in preserving thier wager mandate.

It was just a thought, but it struck me as terribly wrong. However, this possibiliy is discouraging and I was wondering what are the laws that protect my individual rights in opposing the authority of a Union?

And I'm not sure exactly what category this topic belongs in sense it involves capitalistic concerns within an aesthetic context.

To think cultural pluralism is taught and mandated institutionally...

I think this is what you mean. To promote (or force) only one culture: the culture of many cultures ... is a contradiction.

To claim: there is no right, yet you are wrong ... is a contradiction. But only you - who holds a difference between and who can differentiate between the true and the false - can see it. In the wide world, you are up against those who blind themselves because they have eyes - those who kill their psyche because they have it but don't know how to use it and are too afraid to learn how - those who deny the right because they intuit that they're wrong.

Exactly. The course Syllabus told us to adapt a cultural pluralistic view in order to uncover our own American Bias. Under the inept philosophical construct of this reasoning there is no logic or reason and consequently there is no right or wrong. The students are then forced to contort their own logic in a manner that denies it simply for the sake of agitating our own irrational cultural insecurities in order to feed the liberals quest for a false pretense of moral absolution.

Of course I was well equipped to realize this. Sadly I was the only one.

But thats another topic all in itself.