Objectivism Online Forum

Matt Stein, Public Defender

Rate this topic

Well ladies and gents, though not definite yet, there's a good chance that I will be spending the next several months clerking with the Public Defender in one of Nebraska's fine counties. My job would include researching assorted legal issues (statutory and constitutional interpretation--yeah!), second chairing on hearings and trials, and maybe even first chairing on some stuff. Most of my work would be done at home, it's great hours for my bar study over the next few months, and I'd be able to come back home for a few weeks before the MA bar which means I could be around Boston for OCon. So the three of you on here that like me, keep your fingers crossed on this one. Or just pray . . . :thumbsup:

Thanks for the congrats. I hope they're not premature! If I get this gig, of course I will discuss some of my work on here to the extent I'm allowed to. Should be interesting.

If I do well enough on my spring exams, I have a very good chance of being my Torts professor's research assistant for the summer (and TA the following spring).

Go get 'em. Hey, are you at McGeorge? One of the Nebraska Supreme Court Justices went there. Also, my uncle's a lawyer in Sacramento. Small world.

Yeah, he's a nice guy, too, although I don't know anything about his jurisprudence.

When I visited my uncle, I spent a couple hours on McGeorge's campus. It's absolutely beautiful. It was great reading a couple law review articles underneath a palm tree. All I was missing was an umbrella drink and a certain young lady (preferably with her hair in a ponytail, in a tanktop, shorts . . . you get the idea).

Remember to wear your shiny pants to court...
I'm sorry, 'shiny pants?' What is this 'shiny pants?' 'Shiny pants' from 'old pictures.' I am thoroughly intrigued!

-Q

"Your honor, are my pants shiny enough for you to see yourself in them?"

*Gasp!*

<faint>

::scandalized::

-Q

(Words are *so* much more useful than smilies. <grin>)

Well, to start with I have to learn all the Nebraska laws governing criminal restitution over the next couple days.

Okay, not all the laws governing restitution. Just enough to get a basic understanding of the statutory scheme. The thrust of this particular assignment is to analyze an issue very similar to the one discussed here. As you would probably expect, I will not participate in public discussion of my arguments, etc.