Objectivism Online Forum

Roosevelt Island

Rate this topic

NewYorkRoark

Has anyone been to Roosevelt Island in New York City? It is filthy. There's so much potential - it could be the next 5th Avenue. Luckily, the government owns most of the land and built a TRAM from the island to Manhattan. Of course, they could have just linked an elevator to the Queensboro Bridge bicycle/walking path, but they decided to spend a lot more money on a gondala. They also built a garage that won an award for using the highest percentage of concrete. The garage was built because cars weren't allowed on the island but a few years later they changed that law. So now it's mostly pointless. When walking down Main Street, you feel like you're in a post-Communist Eastern European country. Concrete boxes. It could be beautiful, though.

I've never been to Roosevelt Island, only seen it from the air and from boat. I had the same thought as you: real estate lying fallow less than a mile from some of the most expensive US real-estate. If I remember right, it's owned by the Feds. They should sell it to a developer.