Objectivism Online Forum

Cheap Rand Books @ amazon

Rate this topic

always_learning

For those of you who are looking for cheap, used copies of Ayn Rand related books check out Amazon’s used book list.  The prices are amazing.  I got a copy of The Ayn Rand Lexicon: Objectivism from A to Z for less than $6, including shipping.  Check them out.

Agreed. I got OPAR hardcover for $8, including shipping.

When you decide to buy those books, feel free to use this link to Amazon :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Another GREAT place to by used books, movies and CDs is half.com which is owned and operated by ebay. What is especially nice about half.com is they allow you to create a Wishlist of the items you want and the maximum price you are willing to pay for them. As soon as an item becomes available, you will receive an update informing you that it is in stock. I have been able to obtain several hard to find and out of print items I have been looking for that way. I find it very convenient because it spares me the necessity of having to go back every so often and conduct a search from scratch. Half.com usually has quite a large selection of Ayn Rand items available and once in a while you will even find taped lectures from Second Renaissance Books listed.

For me, this is the worst problem. I just don't have enough access to books. Living in India, the cost of books by foriegn publsihers is just too much. Usually have to wait a long time before there are some Indian Editions out. This goes for philosophy and computer books. Can get very frustrating, if there's that one book you know you have to get your hands on.

For eg. - Been waiting to get my hands on "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal by Ayn Rand" and "Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu". Waiting and waiting and waiting. Hoping some publisher comes out with an Indian Edition soon :)

dinesh.

If Amazon doesn’t ship to India, have you considered purchasing books through an American intermediary? Have them purchase the books you want, then ship them to you.

GC, it's not that Amazon doesn't ship to India. They very well would. It's just that it's too expensive for me. The only affordable things are the Indian Editions. Other than that, once in a while i trouble my eldest sister who's in the US to send me some or the other book. Don't like doing that too often though.

dinesh.

IT WAS A JOKE FELDBLUM

Since you have ruined it, let me explain in excruciating detail what I mean. If you have the choice of buying a book either

--cheaply from some used book seller (where your purchase makes no profit whatsoever for anyone associated with the initial selling of Ayn Rand books, and does not even register as increased demand for Objectivist material)

or

--spending a bit more money to buy from an organization dedicated to the promotion of Objectivism

You should buy from the Ayn Rand Bookstore

as long as the extra cost does not require you to sacrifice some more important value. Obviously if the price is too high for your particular situation then the priority would simply be to get the book however you can. But for the average, say, middle class American, spending a few extra dollars is well worth the enormous benefit of directly supporting the Ayn Rand Institute, which owns the Ayn Rand Bookstore. Because supporting this group means supporting a change in the culture towards reason.

AND I HONESTLY YET UNFORGIVABLY MANAGED TO MISS IT or, in people-speak, I DIDN'T GET IT

:blink:B):dough::dough::dough::dough: (I'm starting to feel a little woozy here).

Alright, from now on I'll interpret smilies as representing the <sarcasm /> tag (it's brand new semantic entity in Xhtml 1.2 :nerd: ).

Sorry for ruining your joke (I really didn't mean to), but there's a fine line between weird nonsense and witty sarcasm. That line usually exists in intonation (it's a metaphorical line), and the angle brackets in <sarcasm /> (again, :nerd: ). I've got a small hi-res display but I set the text size to "barely discernible" (again, :nerd: ), so I must have overlooked whatever digital form in which the fine line manifested itself in your posts.

I proceed to set <sarcasm>an eternal penance</sarcasm> for myself, after which I will <sarcasm>beg your forgiveness</sarcasm> and have a cup of coffee.

But the upshot is, now I get it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (for real; no <sarcasm /> tags).

Smilie count: 15

• 1 month later...