Objectivism Online Forum

I Had Forgotten How Frustrating This Is

Rate this topic

It's been about a year, and I decided to give it another go. I'm trying to be a bit more amicable this time, but I don't seem to be having much luck.

In case you're interested:

http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80668

Feel free to offer suggestions. I try to stay away from more complicated arguments, since they seem unable to grasp even the simplest questions that I ask them. Good for a laugh, if nothing else.

P.S.

If anyone can read this thread and still think that Type 2 people in my "4 types of religious people" thread don't exist, I will give you a cookie.

If I were to make a suggestion about the thread you linked to, I'd say that AdamantAtheist might to well do empathize with Kahtar at a perceptual level, of talking to oneself, debating things, seeing the light, deciding not to do something expedient, but to do the right thing instead. Not sure about AdamantAtheist, but some people might even admit to having wondered -- once upon a time -- whether this was God talking to them, before concluding that it is just themselves debating the options. In summary, denying the actual experience that some Christians feel when they say their conscience speaks to them, will necessarily close them down to your arguments. So, one might accept their experiences but question their conceptual interpretation.

Edited by softwareNerd

I can't tell by your post if you know this or not, but AdamantAtheist is me.

Whenever I debate with Chrisitans, I'm always very careful not to question the experiences they've had, because I have first-hand knowledge of what it feels like and I know that it feels very real at the time. And I decided to not bother with Kahtar...not because his logic is any worse than the other people in there, but because his posts usually consist of telling me why I shouldn't be on the board.

What are the odds that someone else would find that board on the exact day that I started posting it?

Actually, I read the first post you made in this thread...which had a link to that forum. I didn't know you were AdamantAtheist, though. I only discovered that after perusing this thread further. :) Great posts over there, though. Their responses are actually kind of amusing.

Here's the part of my earlier thread that I referred to:

The second category is made up of people who think about philosophical issues, but who are, quite simply, not intelligent enough to understand the arguments for/against the existence of God. For an example of these types, visit any Baptist church or online Christian messageboard. Or just go to the websites of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

I remember Megan questioning whether or not there was a significant number of this type of person. I challenge anyone to read my recent thread on the fundy board and tell me that there aren't tons of these people out there. Judging by their posts, they haven't really rejected reason. They simply are incapable of understanding the questions I have asked. They reply to my questions with some variant of "I believe because I heard the truth and believed it." I mean, honestly...if that isn't naked stupidity, what is?

BTW: I got an email from an Admin on that board, saying that he'd noticed a lot of people hitting his forum from the link on our site. Five or six people came in via OO.net and joined his site and are working-up people there. So, he just wanted to say that it isn't appreciated and he'd probably end up setting up bans.

My personal suggestion would be to respect his wishes on his forum.

• 2 weeks later...

When you click on a link to a web site, that target web-site usually receives "referrer" info (i.e. the source page that led to it). Some people monitor that.

I'm not sure if anyone else from here has registered and posted there; the admin seemed to think there were multiple people, so he may be speaking of someone else. Regardless of the written rules, admin's routinely make guesses about a member's intent; and, he's saying he will ban folks if they continue with whatever they're doing. It's similar to when we often ban people we judge to be coming here to tell us why Objectivism is wrong.

What you do next is up to you. It really doesn't impact our forum. In my post above I recommended respecting that admin's wishes on his forum; but, that was just my personal opinion.

Thanks for that, Moose. That was a very interesting read and I must say you handled yourself amazingly on that forum.

I have a good Christian friend who recently came to the conclusion that ultimately we just CHOOSE what we're going to believe. You can choose to believe what science says or you can choose to believe what the bible and the religious leaders say. That's what I see with Christians: they have chosen who and what they are going to believe, largely for arbitrary reasons, and that choice is all it takes.

One thing I find incredibly frustrating is that faith, as defined in the bible is "... the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). It says "blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed" (John 20:29). And the dictionary defines faith as "belief that is not based on proof." That's what Christians claim their salvation is based on: faith. Believing even though there's no evidence. So why is it that when you dare suggest to them that there's no evidence for god and no evidence to verify their religious beliefs they get so mad? :dough:

They want it both ways: they want to be justified by their blind faith which requires no evidence, but they also want to pretend they live a rational life based on a provable reality. Which is why there's so much Christian pseudo-science out there. But they don't realize that either a.) they have true faith because there isn't any evidence for what they believe; or b.) there IS evidence for their beliefs and that means that faith wasn't required and they have no basis for their salvation.

(Please let me know if you see any holes in that argument!) :confused:

• 8 months later...

I'm bookmarking this and coming back later. Hilarious. Don't you think these people feel a little uneasy if they find a contradiction yet choose to maintain it?

Honestly, I've seen one forum that was worst than this, though to my disappointment I can't find it again. The admin was so strict that you HAD to agree with everything he said (or the other Christian members) otherwise you'd get a troll label. Worst yet, he gave no hesitation to handing out those labels. I remember one guy simply and civilly asked "How do we know our religion is the right one?" and he was banned forever after the admin posted a bible verse.

Oh, and they tried using bible verses to prove the bible is authentic. :lol:

I don't think it has any validity. Yes, it was a joke.

My high school Bible teacher once told a joke called the atheist's prayer:

Dear God, if there is a God,

Save my soul, if I have a soul,

So I won't go to Hell, if there is a Hell.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to call this the prayer of an agnostic?

Howdy All,

Moose; I must confess today is the first time I ran across this thread, but thank you for starting it. I have been chuckling over the year plus worth of posting on the topic. The reason I laugh is that it brings too light one of my favorite recreational activities, the fine art of Xian Baiting.

Being an “Ex-Fundie”, myself; there is nothing more pleasurable than a faith emboldened Xian when I am in the need for rhetorical sparing. Not rhetorical combat mind you, but sparing only. With the average Xian, it makes good practice for arguing with tough foes like collectivists, and their ilk, especially if you are prone to extemporize as I am.

Of course their discourse is all too easily shut down. It is especially easy if you can quote scripture at them as I can thanks to my indoctrination, and if they foolishly leave you the open of, “Prove there is no God”, the contest is all but over. Of course the easy answer to a statement along those lines is, “I am an unbeliever, prove to me God exists.” After all the proof is always on the believer in supposed truth, is it not? Of course this leads back to the circular argument of faith, and if your knowledge of Xian theology is tapped now is the time to just walk away.

As I said Xian Baiting is good practice for a real intellectual battle and one of my favorite sports, but too much is like hitting your head into a wall; after a while you get bored, and your head starts to hurt. Personally I take it in small doses.

Rob