Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivism Wiki.

Rate this topic

The Wiki uses a separate registration system from the forum.

I had temporarily disabled new registrations because of spammers.

I have re-enabled registration for now.

Do you know how to program those anti-spam things? Where you have to type in the letters and numbers correctly in order to register?

PS: Thanks. I've registered.

Edited by Starblade

Do you know how to program those anti-spam things? Where you have to type in the letters and numbers correctly in order to register?
These dont stop human spammers, only automated bots. And even then they dont work, since you can generally write pattern recognition programs which can answer the CAPTCHA's correctly anyway. CAPTCHAs are like copy-protection schemes in computer software, or fullbody searches at nightclubs - they just irritate legitimate users, while doing very little to prevent the thing they are ostensibly trying to prevent. Edited by Hal

I disagree – I think CAPTCHAS are very effective for blocking automated website spam - which 99% of web spam is. Sure there are ways around them, but spammers go for the weakest link. This forum uses a CAPTCHA for registration – which blocks 90+% of spam. I recently added email validation for the other 9% - not hard to circumvent, but sufficient to deter spammers. (Yes, I just made up those statistics.)

I disagree – I think CAPTCHAS are very effective for blocking automated website spam - which 99% of web spam is. Sure there are ways around them, but spammers go for the weakest link. This forum uses a CAPTCHA for registration – which blocks 90+% of spam. I recently added email validation for the other 9% - not hard to circumvent, but sufficient to deter spammers. (Yes, I just made up those statistics.)

hmmm, apparently the more difficult CAPTCHAs are harder to crack than I thought. I was under the impression that you could easily download programs which could correctly solve the majority of captchas out there, but apparently there's a lot that cause problems.

Fair enough then, perhaps they do work.

Some of the MSFT ones are so tough that even I (the human) can't figure them out :)

Even the simple ones that can be defeated cut out a lot of people, simply because most people who want to spam you do not want to take the time to download stuff.

For those who need more, the "good guys" will come up with more sophisticated ones. The other day I saw one which had six little pictures of animals. To get past it, one had to click on the two that were cats. The pictures and the order change on each access.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.