Objectivism Online Forum

Sesame Street

Rate this topic

NIJamesHughes

A few nights ago on MSNBC there was a program that was celebrationing Sesame Streets 35th anniversery. The show was credited with teaching millions of children how to read, count, and "social skills." The makers of the show explained how individuals would approch them and tell of how their child watched as much as 5 hours a day. The news reporter was especially thrilled by the was the show handled the topic of death, in fact she said it was brilliant.

They played the scene. One of the long time actors had dieded and Big Bird whined:

"Why does it have to be this way? Just give me one good reason!"

The adult on the show replied "Its just the way it is, it just happens."

then big bird said "ahhhh" like that made it all clear.

I think Mr. Rogers handled death fairly well. As I recall, his dog or something died. He explained to the audience that death was unhappy, but it was the natural end of life. My mom says that I had been asking about a local cemetary and wasn't happy with her answers, but Mr. Rogers' explanation was satisfactory to me. :D

Don't even get me started on Sesame Street. I think that show introduces children to the loud, fast, flashing sort of programming that destroys attention spans and creates an insatiable lust for instant-gratification. Most movies and TV shows oriented towards younger (i.e. under 30) people have this characteristic. You can say you saw it on Children's Television Workshop first!

P.S. Early in my career, I developed a Nintendo Cartridge based on one of their characters. I must say that their indifference to commercial success was quite a stress on the publisher and development company!

If you move beyond Seseme Street, you will find that virtually every children's program in solidly founded in marxist ideology. I haven't watched much of the new stuff -- no call to. But when, as an RN, I was no longer able to continue working in hospitals (due to ill-health) I started a nanny business where I took care of children who required a nurse (not full time, but for a week or two, so the parents could get away). Since there were usually other children in the house, I made it a point to watch what they were watching. I was appalled! Have you ever seen the Smurfs, for example? Pure Marxist utopianism, with Papa Smurf at its head. Most of these programs operate on today's standard theories of "socialization," which are merely social engineering doctrines used to turn your children into little automatons.