Objectivism Online Forum

Chinese President Shouted Down By Falun Gong Protestor

Rate this topic

The Wrath

That isn't the point. I don't agree with Falun Gong at all, but its followers have the right to practice it.

The most interesting part of this story is that Chinese television mysterously blacked out during that part of the speech. Then CNN International was blacked out when the incident was mentioned.

A Chinese guy I work with described the Falung Gong as "our Scientologists". Scientologist being a generic word for incredibly nutty cult. But it does fit.

I agree, they are incredibly anti-mind but they do have a right to practice their religion. I'm very much not surprised that CNN would bend to PC and edit the broadcast. At least they showed some of it. Just about all the other news channels cut the speeches short and cut to something else.

Edited by scottkursk

I doubt they're significantly 'nuttier' than the Christians, but this is beside the point. Given that, as far as I know, these people constitute one of the most oppressed minorities on the planet, critisising their views rather than the actions of the Chinese government seems the wrong move (and before anyone says "you can do both", focusing on the condemnation somewhat legitimises the persecution).

Edited by Hal

A Chinese guy I work with described the Falung Gong as "our Scientologists". Scientologist being a generic word for incredibly nutty cult. But it does fit.

I agree, they are incredibly anti-mind but they do have a right to practice their religion. I'm very much not surprised that CNN would bend to PC and edit the broadcast. At least they showed some of it. Just about all the other news channels cut the speeches short and cut to something else.

It wasn't CNN that did it. It was China censoring what CNN showed in its own country. As far as I know, it wasn't blacked out anywhere else.

I doubt they're significantly 'nuttier' than the Christians, but this is beside the point. Given that, as far as I know, these people constitute one of the most oppressed minorities on the planet, critisising their views rather than the actions of the Chinese government seems the wrong move (and before anyone says "you can do both", focusing on the condemnation somewhat legitimises the persecution).

I would agree with this. I read a little about their doctrines, and it really didn't seem that different from most other eastern philosophies. Of course, eastern philosophy sucks anyway.

Anyway, I couldn't care less who it was that chose to protest the Chinese president. I'm just glad someone did it. If it had been a Christian (another persecuted group in China), I doubt anyone would be saying "but it was a Christian, and they're irrational and anti-mind," even though it's every bit as true with Christians as it is with Falun Gong.

I agree that the Falun Gong should have the right to practice their self-destructive mysticism.

However, my point is that if you want protest to be effective, and teach people about the true nature of the Chinese government's evil, then it is much more useful to have a protest arguing that the Chinese government is against individual rights, and making an argument based upon rational premises.

If an alleged global symbol of reason and capitalism such as Bill Gates wines and dines and kneels before Hu at his home, while the only people protesting are a bunch of unworldly, unsuccessful mystics, then THAT sends a message about the legitimacy of the Chinese government.

As for how the media reacts to it, the large media companies have been kissing Chinese Communist Party butts for years. They think China will be their new promised land and growth market, and are generally quite docile and supportive of the Party, as they depend upon them for permission to do anything. I remember this article I wrote back in 1999: http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=233

Would it be better if rational people protested? Of course. But this wasn't really a protest. The woman didn't have time to do anything besides just shout out a few slogans. So, while a rational protest by a crowd of capitalists would be ideal, a brief shout from a Falun Gong member is better than silence.

• 1 month later...

i am in china, i got to know this infomation on VOA radio program.

as to the Falun Gong, i have no idea about it although i am a chinese.

Falun Gong ofern dispatchs the related leaflet by fax or email to let us know some situation about them.

but we don't pay more attention on it. i think Falun Gong is superstition while i don't think it's correct to put them down or else. what on earth does this event mean. do you americas really know about Falun Gong.

i think it's pointless.