Objectivism Online Forum

Formula 1 Racing

Rate this topic

My roommate has been a fan of Formula 1 racing for some time. Over the last couple years I've picked up some tidbits of info here and there. This really is a great sport, and I can see why it's the most watched sport in the world.

I am amazed by the technological skills of the sport. As one very remedial example, consider that they change a set of tires and fill up a gas tank in less than ten seconds. I can't even begin to fathom the real-time telemetry data they have. I've heard some things about it, and when I learn more I'll share. You should, too. It's really great to learn about the incredible technology smarts being put to in use in this sport.

My brother and dad both follow formula 1 religiously. Their reasoning is that there are very few technological rules, so much of the sport comes down to engineering and car design... Unlike nascar, where everybody pretty much has the same car, so the outcomes of the races come down to the performance of the driver.

I'm all for the amazing engineering that goes into the sport, and the amazing display of talent that a 10 second tire change/gas-up takes, but I've never gotten into the whole watching them go in circles for hours thing. I know that there is a lot of skill that goes into the driving, but it just doesn't seem to transfer onto the tv screen very well, as opposed to a sport like basketball or even baseball.

Edited by LaVache

I'm all for the amazing engineering that goes into the sport, and the amazing display of talent that a 10 second tire change/gas-up takes, but I've never gotten into the whole watching them go in circles for hours thing. I know that there is a lot of skill that goes into the driving, but it just doesn't seem to transfer onto the tv screen very well, as opposed to a sport like basketball or even baseball.

I agree. Auto racing is pretty boring, so i like to either talk with a friend or read a book while watching a race.

I know that there is a lot of skill that goes into the driving, but it just doesn't seem to transfer onto the tv screen very well

I disagree... but then I don´t understand basketball and baseball. Anyway, heres a couple of clips that show just what incredible skill it takes to be at the top. ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...q=Dijon&pl=true

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...n+Senna&pl=true

I disagree... but then I don´t understand basketball and baseball. Anyway, heres a couple of clips that show just what incredible skill it takes to be at the top. ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...q=Dijon&pl=true

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...n+Senna&pl=true

Those are great videos. Thanks for posting!

It is true that not all moments in a Formula One race are exciting, but the ones that are, are!

For a while late in the 80s I followed F1 racing. It was very enjoyable, but I couldn't get past a feeling that the sport's ruling body tends to quash innovations when they provide too much of an advantage.

In 86 or 87, the McLaren cars were so superior they won all but one race. From a marketing standpoint, I understand how that would drive away the fans. Why bother watching, and spending money to see the race live, if you already know who will win? But from every other viewpoint, it felt like the less competent dragging down the more competent.

BTW the performance of the pit crews is impressive. Still, I was more impressed by tires and suspension systems, that could withstand a 90+ minute race at high speeds without needing to be changed. Since then, slick tires, active suspensions, turbo-charged engines, and other hitngs have been banned from the sport.