Objectivism Online Forum

Movie: Atlas Shrugged Moving Ahead

Rate this topic

Not at all, Eric? I am far from expert on male attractiveness, but even I can identify extremely ugly men. Would you struggle in deciding whether Sloth from The Goonies was ugly? Now, identifying an extremely attractive man, that I can not do. I could say a man looks handsome, well-dressed, well-maintained, and so forth, but I couldn't really tell if he was "hot."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all, I'm not gay. You can?

I cant speak for him, but I'm not gay and theres lots of men I find attractive. Its no different from a woman saying that another woman looks beautiful - it doesnt mean they have any sexual feelings towards them, or a desire to sleep with them.

Edited by Hal

Not at all, I'm not gay. You can?
Uh, yeah, I think that was pretty obvious in my post. I really couldn't say how different a male heterosexual approach to male beauty would be from a homosexual approach. My guess is that they aren't far off, but homosexuals "follow through" with sexual desire and heterosexuals don't. Homosexuals probably have a more specific approach, too.

Not at all, Eric? I am far from expert on male attractiveness, but even I can identify extremely ugly men. Would you struggle in deciding whether Sloth from The Goonies was ugly? Now, identifying an extremely attractive man, that I can not do. I could say a man looks handsome, well-dressed, well-maintained, and so forth, but I couldn't really tell if he was "hot."

This is what I can do too. Although I think the guys that most women decribe as "hot" usually look a little gay to me. Although, I do think guys that judge other guys looks in a positive way are usually metrosexuals a euphamism for "having gay tendencies".

... theres lots of men I find attractive.

I have no doubt about that.

...that was pretty obvious in my post. I really could.. say how ... a ....approach to male beauty would be from a homosexual .... with sexual desire ....approach, too.

Really, sometimes I love the reply function. :pirate:

Edited by EC

EC I find your response puzzling. I know plenty of straight guys who can identify other men as attractive or at least as their definition of a physical ideal. Though obviously we all have a somewhat different standards of beauty, most people I know have some standards for both genders. Now if you said you didn't care all that much if a man is attractive or not, that I could understand.

Actually because we all have different standards of physical perfection, we'll never agree on the perfect physicality for characters in the book but I do think the resonance of the performance and skill of the actors is more important. I didn't think Dagney and John were supposed to be a stunners anyway, attractive yes but not knock-outs like the two actors described at the end of the book. In fact I didn't remember Taggart as a blonde, I always imagined her with brown hair but I don't think that stuff matters very much, myself.

Physical attractiveness simply isn't applicable to males, with the exception that males can be ugly. That's why it's rediculous to hear people say things such as "Brad Pitt is so hot". He's no hotter than me or the next guy. If a guy isn't "ugly" then they are all about the same. That is why women look more for things like confidence and "personality" because the difference in looks from one guy to another are virtually non-existent.

Really, sometimes I love the reply function. :devil:

Really, why don't you just state outright what you're getting at instead of butchering what I said into something I didn't?

Because, it would less fun than implying that you may possess homosexual tendancies. Don't worry I'm just f*cking with you, I'm just tired of seeing people defending homosexuals here.

Physical attractiveness simply isn't applicable to males, with the exception that males can be ugly. That's why it's rediculous to hear people say things such as "Brad Pitt is so hot". He's no hotter than me or the next guy. If a guy isn't "ugly" then they are all about the same. That is why women look more for things like confidence and "personality" because the difference in looks from one guy to another are virtually non-existent.
Oh man, that's a good one. I don't even have to poll people to negate that statement. I hereby proclaim that it makes a huge difference to me if a guy is "ugly" or "hot," or what I prefer: "fucking beautiful."

Also, I think your negative remarks about homosexuality are offensive and inappropriate, here and elsewhere on the forum.

That's why it's rediculous to hear people say things such as "Brad Pitt is so hot". He's no hotter than me or the next guy.

Well one has the right to hope.

If a guy isn't "ugly" then they are all about the same. That is why women look more for things like confidence and "personality" because the difference in looks from one guy to another are virtually non-existent.

Too funny.

To boot, I still think she considered Galt to be the perfect human (wasn't that the underlying point of the book?), which includes perfect looks.
I don't think Galt is supposed to have perfect looks. I'd wager that playboy Francisco's supposed to be more attractive than Galt, and IMO it's almost certain that
...a face of such shocking perfection of beauty that [Dagny] stood still, staring at him, not in admiration at first, but in simple disbelief.
Ragnar is.

Do any of those men live up to your expectations?
Meh, I'd prefer a nobody for Galt - plus I'm more of the thought that Galt shouldn't be too pretty.

I'm more of the thought that Galt shouldn't be too pretty.
Maybe you're right, hunterrose. Maybe Dagny (/Rand) is mostly concerned with Galt's mind. Also, thanks for the direct quote regarding Ragnar. Honestly, I didn't remember the description, and Rand doesn't duplicate characters, so you've given me reason to alter my opinion on Galt's looks. It will probably be harder to find a good enough actor than finding someone attractive enough, anyway.

Synthlord mentioned a good director as being the essential element, but I think the actors are just as important. If one fails the other cannot save the movie alone.

And about big-name stars pulling big crowds, I would rather just have a good movie, even if it means no big stars and less Objectivist exposure. I don't think the masses that celebrities would attract will significantly alter their thinking based on the movie, anyway. The crowds a good movie will attract, however, those who consider reviews or word of mouth beforehand, are probably more likely to consider the movie's message.

Also, I think your negative remarks about homosexuality are offensive and inappropriate, here and elsewhere on the forum.

You are making a huge assumption about me caring if I offend you or not, here or elsewhere. Regardless, do you know what Miss Rand's comments regarding the moral status of homosexuality were (regardless, of many people of this forums attempt to rationalize them out of existence)?

She made a few scant remarks regarding her distaste for it. I would argue that people who think Objectivism is against homosexuality are actually using Rand's opinions on the morality of masculinity and femininity to rationalize their similar distaste.

Besides all of that and whether you care about offending or not, with the available scientific evidence on sexuality, which at least leaves room for dispute, and since you have have no firsthand same-sex attraction, I don't think you are in a position to make claims on the negative morality of homosexuality.

Did Ayn Rand also engage in passive aggressive baiting, then retreat behind cover my ass retractions like, "Don't worry I'm just f*cking with you?" We get it, you hate homosexuality, now how about getting back on topic.

Edited by ell

From today's Variety:

...   ...

For years, producer Al Ruddy tried to make Rand's definitive book into a movie, attracting the interest of Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway at one point.

But while Rand was still alive, she had script approval, complicating the process. After the author's death in 1982, Ruddy continued his efforts and, in 1999, he inked a pactpact to produce "Atlas" as a miniseries for TNT. Ultimately, the deal faltered.

According to the New York Times, Ruddy is exploring a mini-series... for TV,  or something like a "made for Netflix" or "made for Amazon". Now that I think about it, the typical Netflix binge-watcher has no problem sitting through tens of episodes if something catches his fancy.

"Atlas re-imagined"... put Atlantis on Mars. It's all good.

• 2 weeks later...

The Huge Ayn Rand Fan Behind the Latest 'Atlas Shrugged' Movie

Ruddy, age 85, considers the novel to be the greatest literary work of the 20th century. He cites a 1991 survey from the Library of Congress in which respondents chose Atlas Shrugged as the book that had the greatest impact on their lives, second only to The Bible.

Ruddy first pursued the project more than 40 years ago. He was even in a position to purchase the rights in the early 1970s, but he says Rand never signed the contract. She insisted on having the right to approve the final script, according to Ruddy.

"I said to Ayn, 'No one will start working on a screenplay where you have that kind of influence,'" Ruddy says. "We could never resolve it."

I've usually liked Clint Eastwood's choice of what to act in, and more so the later works he's directed whether he played in the or not. Rudy, and Eastwood if he's still interested, have both shown a good knack for drama.

"Why does everyone fall in love with it?" Ruddy asks [about Atlas Shrugged]. "Because it talks about the ability of the creative person to be able to function--to create."

This project, Rudy, will challenge that ability in spades.

The Huge Ayn Rand Fan Behind the Latest 'Atlas Shrugged' Movie

Ruddy, age 85, considers the novel to be the greatest literary work of the 20th century. He cites a 1991 survey from the Library of Congress in which respondents chose Atlas Shrugged as the book that had the greatest impact on their lives, second only to The Bible.

Ruddy first pursued the project more than 40 years ago. He was even in a position to purchase the rights in the early 1970s, but he says Rand never signed the contract. She insisted on having the right to approve the final script, according to Ruddy.

"I said to Ayn, 'No one will start working on a screenplay where you have that kind of influence,'" Ruddy says. "We could never resolve it."

I've usually liked Clint Eastwood's choice of what to act in, and more so the later works he's directed whether he played in the or not. Rudy, and Eastwood if he's still interested, have both shown a good knack for drama.

"Why does everyone fall in love with it?" Ruddy asks [about Atlas Shrugged]. "Because it talks about the ability of the creative person to be able to function--to create."

This project, Rudy, will challenge that ability in spades.

I bet $5 the hero sacrifices himself in the end... to save a child or the world... in which case we'll all be crying too... everyone around us will see our tears ... but unless they know us they wont understand.

Point taken. Still, I would hope such a betrayal would not be so straight-forward, at least giving some sense of a "read it for yourself" contained therein.

Note:  If the bet amount is small, I almost always make a bet against what I actually want... that way I win either way.  :)

Edited by StrictlyLogical