Objectivism Online Forum

Should I Dumb Down My Speech So People Will Understand Me Better?

Rate this topic

I always have to do it; don't use "big words" to confuse ordinary people and/or family. Should this be done or should you use big words and try to get people to learn them? Is tact worth the compromise?

I suppose to answer the question you'd have decide whether you are genuinely interested in communicating something to someone else or not.

If you aren't interested in actually communicating something, then why are you talking to them?

If you are interested in actually communicating then you need to keep you audience in mind.

But if you're just about having an ego-trip, then why are you wasting everyone's time?

Some people think you shouldn't clear your throat in public, though I don't think it's rude.

I think there's some doubt as to whether that actually constitutes clearing my throat. Given, I conveyed an approximation of the sound I would make, were I to actually clear my throat, however no actual throat or clearing was involved. :P