Objectivism Online Forum

Seeking Information Of The U.s

Rate this topic

Maty

I am not sure if that is the right place to post this topic, but it seemed to me the most appropriate. Please feel free to relocate it should it become necessary.

I have been living in Toronto, Canada for the past 4 years, and have lately obtained my citizenship. As it stands, I am greatly dissatisfied with the Canadian political/economical policies (in short; the welfare system), and frankly (to use a mild tone) I am quite doubtful as to the future of such state of affairs and its imminent consequences. I have therefore begun considering a move to the U.S, in hope of finding there a place of more politico-economical freedom.

My first question, therefore, would be in regards to the actual truth of such an assumption; although I am definitely aware of the existence of certain differences between the U.S system and the Canadian one—In favor of the U.S, my knowledge of them—their scoop and domain—is quite limited, and my concern is whether the contrast between the two is significant enough to warrant such a move; which would entail once again starting from scratch.

The second question, depending on the answer to the first, would be where such places might be? Which states and cities are closest to the Capitalistic ideal, are most politically and economically free, and (maybe most importantly) are most likely to remain this way (or to get even closer)?

And the last question is regarding the legal aspect of the issue; what is the current status of Canadian citizens within the U.S? From what I know, Canadians can freely travel in and within the U.S, and maybe even reside, yet I’m not sure about work; whether or not I will be able to freely seek employment once over there.

Then there are issues such as prices for goods/rent, workplaces, safety, etc. I would generally assume that places with more economic freedom would have better conditions regarding all such aspects—but then again, there might be some other catches…

Bottom line, I’m looking for as much information as I can on these, or any related questions, and would greatly appreciate all comments, suggestions, or reference to possible sources of information.

Thanks!

From what I understand, Houston is a pretty good place to live if you're a Capitalist, but I don't know that there's enough difference between the U.S. and Canada to move in order to avoid the welfare state. From what I understand the biggest difference lies in medical care coverage, which may actually see some improvements in freedom in Canada, whereas in the U.S. there's still popular support for increasing regulation/government interference. If I were you, I'd look more at the amount of taxes that would be coming out of my pocket. In Ohio, where I live, I pay about 25% of my modest wages in taxes (local, state, federal, social security) and it only gets worse as you earn more. I do NOT make that much money, nor do I own any major property that I have to pay taxes on.

Depending on your situation, you could try working in the US for a couple of years to check it out, as long as it does not jeopardize your new Canadian citizenship.

If you're interested, the US government web-site is http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Depending on your situation, you could try working in the US for a couple of years to check it out, as long as it does not jeopardize your new Canadian citizenship.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Please elaborate, if you will; by 'situation', do you refer to my personal/financial situation which might (or not) allow me to do so, or do you refer to a certain legal status according to which I might (or might not) be able to work in the U.S? How could it jeopardize my citizenship?

PS: Thanks for the link; I will definitely check it out.

Yes, your personal situation. For instance, you may have friends and family in Canada and perhaps some in the U.S. too. Also, your professional field and the ease with which one can get a job in that field in the U.S.

I think the US has special rules for Canadians who want to work here. There may also be some rules for "NAFTA" countries.

Edited by softwareNerd

It's interesting that Jennifer mentions Houston. We've actually got quite a large Canadian expat community here. A large number are medical professionals that come south to work in the medical center. Plus, there are lots of oil and mineral companies here. So, it makes sense that a whole bunch of Canadians here given there particiaption in both industries.

I used to work for TD here in Houston. So, we got a LOT of Canadians coming in off the street looking for atm's and the like. Though they are always pretty nice about when we explain we're not a bank in the US but a brokerage.

The people that I knew that transfered down here from Toronto were pretty universal in that they liked the change in the quality of living. While many things are a bit different like culture. Though Houston is pretty free wheeling when it comes to most things. There is no zoning here, so you can pretty much build a business where you want, and there is a very wide variety of jobs to be had. Though, it is a whee bit hotter here than Canada. Most of the Canadians that I've known have made comment that they have alot more opportunity here but to one extent or another bemoan the lack of the welfare state. Though the longer they have been here they tend to compalin less.

• 1 month later...

Stay away from Oregon and Massachussets especially. I can see my home state (Oregon) growing more and more liberal. In general, I would have to suggest the South, Texas, or many of the midwestern states. Those are the one's that I have noticed being consistently red over the last few elections.