Objectivism Online Forum

Could I be an Objectivist?

Rate this topic

First off, this is my first post. I am very new to the philosophy of Objectivism. It's highly probably that I will ask stupid questions as my base of knowledge on this topic is very rudimentary at this point. None the less, the philosophy is interesting to me. Of the few concepts I have read to date, I can "relate" to virtually all of them right off the bat. My objective on this forum is to increase my understanding of this philosophy in order to determine if indeed I may have been somewhat of an objectivist all along, and never really knew it.

A bit of background. I'm 40 years old, have in the past been a Christian which I later abandoned in the direction of Agnosticism. I have been a Police Officer for 18 1/2 years though I do not agree with the nature or justification of many laws that are on the books. I have always sought to understand that which is going on around me, to which the concept that my senses are my only possible learning tool makes a lot of sense.

So, on to the first question...

Is there anything inherently incompatible with being an Objectivist AND being a Law Enforcement Officer?

Thanks in advance for your reasoned responses.

VES

Not at all. Once you chose to be a cop it would be wrong for you not to inforce the law. Cops don't make the laws, you would create anarchy if you just inforced laws you agreed with. Now If you don't like the drug laws(for example), don't join the DEA, go into a different area if you can.

We still live in free country, so there are multiply ways to change laws you disagree with. As an Officer, your initiating force if you don't inforce the laws.

Being an Objectivist and a Law Enforcement Officer in very compatible.

First off, this is my first post.  I am very new to the philosophy of Objectivism.
Welcome!

It's highly probably that I will ask stupid questions as my base of knowledge on this topic is very rudimentary at this point. 

That's how you learn.

None the less, the philosophy is interesting to me.  Of the few concepts I have read to date, I can "relate" to virtually all of them right off the bat.  My objective on this forum is to increase my understanding of this philosophy in order to determine if indeed I may have been somewhat of an objectivist all along, and never really knew it.
That sounds likes a noble goal. In addition to this forum, I recommend Harry Binswanger's List <http://www.hblist.com> also known as HBL.

Is there anything inherently incompatible with being an Objectivist AND being a Law Enforcement Officer?

Funny, but we were just discussing that on HBL in the past week. A list member was attracted to a career in law enforcement and several list members, including me and another HBLer who IS a policeman, encouraged him to go for it.

Being a cop is a fascinating career, isn't it? If you want to see what Objectivism thinks of your job, read the title essay of Ayn Rand's book, _Philosophy: Who Needs It_. It is an address to cadets at West Point in which she explains why a military career is extremely moral. A lot of what she said there very much applies to Law Enforcement Officers.

Well, thanks for all the prompt replies. I think some of my confusion on this matter came from some of the reading I did regarding how much one lends their talents to the state. I still have lots of reading to do on the matter. I bought Atlas Shrugged yesterday as a start.

The one sticking point of an issue that I have come across so far is the Objectivist view on abortion. I don't really wish to open that up as a debate at this point, merely mentioning that my view is different from what appears to be the Objectivist view. This is something I intend to study further. I will say that the Objectivist view that I read which supported choice, was probably the best presented view I have read yet. This may take some time for me to get my mind around.

To Betsy:

Yes, a fascinating career that is also at times frustrating. I have the opportunity this year to advance in rank, likely for the last time in my career. I am most satisfied when I am in Patrol work, and directly supervising a small group of officers. At my current level I do that, as well as if I do get this promotion. Past that I would be more of an administrator, which I do not desire.

Again, thanks for the hearty welcome!

VES

I don't really wish to open that up as a debate at this point, merely mentioning that my view is different from what appears to be the Objectivist view.  This is something I intend to study further.
I'm glad to hear that.

A normal mentally-active adult has already thought about and reached conclusions about many fundamental issues. He does not abandon them until and unless he has evidence that he is wrong. While he may be attracted to Ayn Rand because of her bold and uncompromising arguments for things he already accepts, all the long-time Objectivists I know, including me, had some disagreements too. Instead of immediately abandoning Ayn Rand OR one's previous conclusions, the ideal thing is to do exactly what you are doing: study further.

This may take some time for me to get my mind around.

Take all the time you need. It took me eight years before I had resolved all my doubts and issues and would call myself an Objectivist. Nobody I would consider an Objectivist has done it in less than five, and that was with the help of Leonard Peikoff's wonderful "Understanding Objectivism" course.

I am most satisfied when I am in Patrol work, and directly supervising a small group of officers.  At my current level I do that, as well as if I do get this promotion.  Past that I would be more of an administrator, which I do not desire.

Good luck. If they do eventually insist on tying you to a desk, you still have the option of working for a private security or private investigation firm. According to the cop on HBL, your patrol experience is needed there.