Objectivism Online Forum

Google's Evil Act

Rate this topic

fatdogs12

Google has informally complained to U.S. and European antitrust regulators about what it says are biased settings on Microsoft's latest Web browser, marking the latest spat between two companies whose business models are increasingly bumping up against one another.

Again Microsoft is being immorally attacked for providing a better value than before. Firefox is already equiped with a Google search box, is that unfair to Microsoft? I don't know I am just disgusted with this at this point. Microsoft has been fined hugely by the EU and it seems now Google is willing to try to violate Microsoft's rights in order to take more market share.

The ironic thing is that Google's motto is "Do no evil"..... They failed on this one.

Here is the link:

Google's Complaint

Google should beware what it wishes for. As a person quoted in the article above says:

Once you start raising unfairness questions, and you're the dominant player, then it would be very easy for somebody to use those arguments against you...
This is a good example of how pragmatists think they are being practical; perhaps some years from now we'll see Google at the receiving end and realize that their action was impractical after all.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any thoughts on the morality of using Google's services at this point? On the one hand, they are a company with plenty of questionable practices, such as self-censorship in China, support for net neutrality, etc. On the other, Google is still the best search engine out there, that I know of, and has a variety of other services which are quite useful. So, is it ethical to use Google? Or not?

Anyone have any thoughts on the morality of using Google's services at this point? On the one hand, they are a company with plenty of questionable practices, such as self-censorship in China, support for net neutrality, etc. On the other, Google is still the best search engine out there, that I know of, and has a variety of other services which are quite useful. So, is it ethical to use Google? Or not?

Well simply as a practical issue if we were to avoid all companies that were unethical in the same sense that google was here we would be in a real bind sometimes (simply because there are numerous companies in the same boat).

I suppose on the surface it seems that it is unethical to support a company which is out for evil purposes. However I don't think that Google is out for evil in general. That's just my 2cents on the issue. I don't know the answer for sure, just what I have considered so far.