Objectivism Online Forum

Night Of January 16th Movie

Rate this topic

A movie "based on" Ayn Rand's play was made in 1941. You can find a review of it on David Hayes website, Movies of Interest to Objectivists. He quotes Ayn Rand commenting on it:

"I had nothing to do with its screen adaptation. There is nothing of mine in that movie, except the names of some of the characters . . . The cheap, trashy vulgarity of that movie is such that no lengthier discussion is possible to me."

I bring this up to show what Hollywood can do to a movie, when the author has no control over the script. Considering who is involved with the Atlas Shrugged movie, disaster could easily be the result.

Suppose they portray John Galt as a tolerationist? Given their predilections, that is a definite possiblity.

• 2 weeks later...
I bring this up to show what Hollywood can do to a movie, when the author has no control over the script. Considering who is involved with the Atlas Shrugged movie, disaster could easily be the result.

Suppose they portray John Galt as a tolerationist? Given their predilections, that is a definite possiblity.

I am afraid that is, unfortunately, a very real possibility. The producers of the proposed Atlas Shrugged movie have ties to David Kelley's so-called "Objectivist" center. Here is something that I posted to the Noodle Food comments a few weeks ago speculating on how such a movie might turn out. What's sad is I am afraid that if Kelley and his thoroughly anti-Objectivist organization become involved, there might be a very real possibility that my parody might end up being not too far off from reality. Let's hope not. Better yet, let's hope the thing is not made at all until someone with deep pockets who actually understands Objectivism gets a chance to buy those movie rights.

- - - - - -

COMING SOON To A Theatre Near YOU!!!

ATLAS HUGGED - The Motion Picture. Based on a story by Ayn Rand and David Kelley.

Experience the movie sensation of the nation - the epic drama about a true heroic genius, Dr. Robert Stadler, who breaks with and courageously stands up against his guttersnipe former students who arrogantly pitch a hissy fit which leads to the formation of an exclusionary cloistered cult hidden in the mountains of Colorado from which they spew forth their dogmatic intolerance of philosophical perspectives and approaches to morality that differ from their own. Watch Dr. Kell.... er, I mean, Dr. Stadler, as he builds bridges and forges new alliances and understandings in subjects ranging from the philosophical with Dr. Simon Prichett to every day sense-of-life matters such as swapping soybean recipes with Emma "Kip's Ma" Chalmers. Cast includes Robert Bidinotto as Bertram Scudder, Alan Greenspan as Wesley Mouch and a special cameo appearance by Diana Hsieh as Comrade Sonya from "We The Living." Nine out of ten scenes in this movie might be utter bilge - but you should sit through it anyway because the tenth might let in the light!

[Note: the Diana Hsieh as Comrade Sonya pokes fun of an insult someone threw at her and not Diana, who is someone I have a lot of respect for. ]