Objectivism Online Forum

Ahmadinejad Letter To President Bush

Rate this topic

Here is the "unofficial" translation in downloadable PDF format:

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives...dinejad0509.pdf (783 kb, 18 pages)

(from page 18)

"Liberalism and Western style Democracy have not been able to help realize the ideals of humanity. Today these two concepts have failed. Those with insight can already hear the sounds of the shattering and fall of the ideology and thougts of the liberal democratic systems.

We increasingly see that people around the world are flocking towards a main focal point - that is the Almighty God. Undoubtedly through faith in God and the teachings of the prophets, the people will conquer their problems. My question for you is "Do you not want to join them?"

Whether we like it or not, the world is gravitating towards faith in the Almighty and the justice and the will of God will prevail over all things."

Edited by synthlord

The point he's making is that President Bush must decide between "Western liberal democracy" and Christian beliefs. Ahmadinejad correctly points out a disparity exists between those two doctrines and calls the President to task on it.

I think it's highly reflective of the ideological conflict we've known all along - that between secular rights and religious control. Ahmadinejad is clearly on the side of religious control, and is holding President Bush accountable for not doing the same (at least in terms of Middle East foreign policy).

Is it just me, though, or does the whole thing read like a rant from the political far left?

Hmmm...I agree with you on that.

Actually, I think it reads like a PR strike. After all the crazy statements he's made on T.V. and stuff. This reads like a well thought out, almost NICE, intelligent letter (regardless of the morality of the ideas). Especially since this is being leaked around to people...I don't wonder whether its actually to turn MORE "liberal Westerners" against Bush. I think it's foolish to think that Iran, frankly the entire Middle East, doesn't know that this "war" is tearing up our own country.