Objectivism Online Forum

Buying Domain Name?

Rate this topic

Febod

Wow that's cheap. I've gotten mine from Network Solutions for a while and they're way more expensive than that. You know that commercial where somebody does something stupid like get a ridiculous tattoo, but then he finds out that his friend is overpaying for cable and they all laugh at the overpayer? I feel like that guy right now. What do you think of your companies' service, reliability, etc.? Is there any good reason I should be using somebody so expensive as I am now?

You do get what you pay for, and I wouldn’t use anyone other than network solutions for a mission-critical site. Not everyone needs 99.999% uptime though.

I switched to 1and1 because I host with them and because they are cheaper, but I also like myDomain because it has the best DNS hosting options. For most people, I recommend 1and1 for both web hosting and domain registration.

Speaking of rip-offs, Network Solutions has been running ads saying “I used to pay nearly 1000 for my SSL certificate, now I pay a few hundred to NetSol.” What they don’t tell you is that GoDaddy provides perfectly good SSL certificates for $12.99

1and1 has some great deals. If one is hosting a simple low-traffic site with a few hundred low-volume hits a day, you should be able to go with almost any of the providers. Right now, 1and1 has $3/month hosting with 1 domain-name thrown in.

I signed up for 1and1 about 3 years ago when they were offering a 1 year free deal. I don't have any serious website, but I use them for my primary email. Their email service works just fine when it's routed through something like Outlook, but for some reason their webmail site is horrible. They have the most unreliable server I have ever experienced. Half of the time, even just deleting a message will cause it to time out.

I myself use HostGator, been with them for over a year, and never had any issues. I did a lot of searching through online forums, and reviews, and these guys were almost always one of the top companies in the price range, plus they're cheap (starts at $6.95), and get you a lot for what you pay, compared with others.