Objectivism Online Forum

A Great Book On French History

Rate this topic

ScottP

GREAT BOOKS AND AUTHORS

-----------------------------------

As perhaps everyone who receives PHR knows by now, I am a great advocate of old (and very old) history books. Although it is true that modern scholarship has added a few decimal places of precision to a good number of historical facts, there is no question in my mind that this increased precision has come at the expense of a proper focus on integration. And the latter, I must insist, is a far greater value than the former.

For instance, what great harm is done to you as a reader if you memorize that the Tarquin Kings were expelled from Rome c.508 BC or c.509 BC? What great loss is it if you know about Ferdinand Magellan, but don't know the life story of Sebastian del Cano (the man who took over after Magellan was killed in the Philippines)? The idea of the birth of the Roman Republic and the idea of the Age of Discovery are far more crucial to grasp, if you want to understand history.

By this standard "The Growth of the French Nation" by George B. Adams (Chautauqua Century Press, 1896) is a great history book. Written in 1896, there are sure to be minute inaccuracies in it--though I haven't found any--but what is striking about the book is that it is written with a clear, valid historical theme. Whether it is with an eye to later American history, or to understand Europe for itself, what stands out about the story of France is the character of its national growth, both culturally and in terms of government. It is the distinctive evolution of France's national monarchy during the Middle Ages that sets it apart from all its neighbors, though most importantly its rivals England and Germany. To present this theme Adams is highly selective in his presentation. As he explains, "I have endeavored...to resist the temptation to use the space at my command for other facts, however interesting, if they do not seem to bear upon the national growth." Consequently, he creates an accessible, enjoyable single-volume history of France. A great place to start for any reader!

POWELL HISTORY RECOMMENDS WEBPAGE

--------------------------------------------------

The PHR webpage is COMING SOON!

In developing the elementary grades history curriculum at VanDamme Academy and in creating 1HFA, I've struggled to find books that render the story of past intelligible and engaging, and that facilitate the integration of history into a single unified whole. Every month, I will offer up more suggested readings for those of you on my mailing list, and I will supplement these with a more general guide to the best sources I know of by posting them on my website. Look for it in the coming weeks at my website: www.powellhistory.com.

Regards,

Scott Powell.

Edited by ScottP