Objectivism Online Forum

"the Dagny Song"

Rate this topic

orangesiscool

If any of you have ever heard Short skirt long jacket by Cake, you probably already know what this is about, but if we are to find someone to play Dagny in the upcoming move she should fit easily into this song. Which easily is romantic art in the highest.

Cake- Short skirt/long jacket

From what I can find, they aren't objectivists, but most of their songs remind me of what an objectivist band would do.

Another example of them is the very metaphoric song distance.

Cake- Distance.

Edited by orangesiscool

It's interesting to hear you say that: I've always wanted to become like the girl in the short skirt/long jacket song and thought it described a woman who was (or could be) and Objectivist.

I like The Distance also. Some of their other songs are definitely not similar to what an Objectivist band would do, though.

What a co-inky-dink! I noticed the same song and had the same thought (posted it on objectivist singles). Cake's songs are so right-on that I wondered whether they were objectivist. The song "Symphony in C" is great also. It's about corruption in the arts some of the lines include: "You are seldome thinking of what is but what is not" and even some references (I think) to Kant and Hegel "victorious triads." "Long Line of Cars" is another. They're a pretty rational band.

Some of thier songs on thier last CD are pretty bad though, like "Carbon Monoxide" and "Tougher Than It Is". Particularly this last one where it opens with the line "There is no such thing as you". But I do love thier music and even those songs despite thier lyrical problems :dough: And oddly I too was thinking about "Short Skirt/Long Jacket"'s lyrics a lot recently :lol:

How funny!

I love Cake! In fact, I was just commenting to my husband the other day that the only way to "have your cake and eat it too" was to listen to Cake while eating cake. (okay bad joke, I know.)

Ever watch that cartoon Mission Hill? they do the intro song for it. They are a fun band. I have not seen them in concert, but have watched a live performance on tv before, and would love to see them in person.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

So, nobody has posted on this for three years, but I just have to say that I agree. Short Skirt/Long Jacket has always struck me as a very Objectivist song, and it's one of my favorites.

Also, it is the theme song for the TV show Chuck, about a computer geek turned international super spy.

• 1 month later...