Objectivism Online Forum

Olex (oleksandr Lozitskiy) [story Of Introduction]

Rate this topic

I'm a new member.

Missed this section, now catching up. Here it comes, take cover if it blows too hard. :nuke:

I'm a programmer. Take it away, and I'll be no one (I think). It's my core, it's my interests, it's my life. I see others go to parties, try to get attention, etc. (You know the drill, judging by folks' posts here, most see such people(are they?) ) I don't care, nothing interests me of their values. Got myself a computer. Coding everyday, until the brain gets tired (how dare you brain to give up?). No problem, tennis will save me, couple of hours of running like crazy, and the blood is in the rhythm again, flows to the brain, some to the eyes, and some to the fingers. Now, I can get back to coding. Repeat? (Oh, yes, give me another day)

I've not known of Objectivism or Ayn Rand until past week. I was browsing one of the few sources I trust - http://slashdot.org - and someone mentioned "Atlas Shrugged". Just a minor note, nothing big. I've skipped and ignoring many more notes and links, but this one... The person who mentioned the book did it in some way that made me look, and think for a moment. I felt compelled to see what that was. Google was my friend, and Wikipedia the source. I read first few sentences, and couldn't believe it. There is no way that someone could nailed down the same thoughts I had, same values, same tools. Man, I don't like to be impulsive, but it made me get up and buy the book the same day. Now, here I'm lying I had considered that the book is crap as many of them are, and took a look at the reviews at www.bn.com What I've found wasn't just the description of the book but how those descriptions were laid out. I took a note (but didn't care at the time) that descriptions were laid out and sctructured thoughtfully and logically. The negative reviews made me wanted buy the book even more, because of the lame way they were attacking the author. (quoting "she had no decent relationship with anyone other than those who kow-towed to her ideas", I've ignored the flash insult, and thought "well, duh, why would you be with people who don't agree with on some very basic principles?")

Folks, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I am programmer. My most valuable tool is logic, I create logic, fix it, improve, test. I apply the same views to my life. I had come to expect most to be dumb, and only to see some lonely sparks here and there. Those I valued.

And here I open this book and from the first 3-4 pages, I was at awe. Obviously, I think of myself as far better than most (there is plenty of facts I get every day). So, when I read the pages of clean and pure logic, it stroke me hard that someone could possess this other than me. Worse, it was so much better than my ability, I could feel the amount of time and effort it went into creating such a state of mind (or is it a physical property of mind at that point?).

I didn't think a book could keep me away from coding, but this one did. I had to, I felt the importance of parsing the book and ideas through, and thinking long and hard over them. Heh, did someone say good sleep? I said goodbye to that, too much to think about, too slow to think fast enough.

Then it hit me, the book has sold millions, they must be people out there who read this book as I did, and experienced the same effect on them as I have. Where's Google? Where are the portals, blogs, forums? There they are. How could I missed before? :huh:

And here I am. Thanks to whoever started this forum (I know what it is to start forum from scratch), and manages through all this time. I will see to it that I contribute back to repay.

What do I program? I've already shown it in the "Productivity" section (Where else could such a name exist for a whole section?). However, I will post here as well, since it will save you time, and give me more users who will watch my videos and demos.

Video (new): http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ukrainian+rumble

Demo (old): Wiki: http://ox.slug.louisville.edu/urumble2/wik...of_of_Concept_1

Demo (old): Download: http://ox.slug.louisville.edu/~o0lozi01/up...mble2_proof.zip

If you have made it this far, you get a salute from me: :lol: Just a bit more now.

My personality? I don't know, I didn't really care to compare if I'm more competitive than others or not, but I think I am, although I always made my way to the best of the people I saw around. I was told once that I think too much. So, it means nothing since those who can think of such idea are outside of my view and we can't be compared.

I mostly stay calm on the surface, but can channel my energy if I see a purpose.

But you must have guessed by now, I like to write code, no matter if it's English or C++.

Place any ravings, remarks, questions in this thread, I promise to answer.

My guess is that there is an written law on these forums about accepting new members?

EDIT: This might be important for your understanding of me. I grew up in Post-Soviet Ukraine, but now study in USA. No way, I'm coming back.

Edited by Olex

Welcome, Olex, nice to have you here. Your English is pretty good, although you sometimes put words in an unusual order. (English has, I think, some nasty peculiarities of word order.) I'm always amazed that any non-native English speaker could wade through Atlas Shrugged. Then I start thinking about the difficulty Ayn Rand must have had in writing it, since she was a non-native English speaker as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent, another programmer. I wonder if there is a higher percentage of Objectivists in such fields as programming and math than there are in fields like literature or philosophy? Hmm, maybe not... there can't be that many Objectivist social workers, though. ;)

Those tanks have US flags on them... ;) grr. Game looks good, but I'm not much of a gamer myself; I certainly don't know how to code them. I congratulate you.

Slashdot is wonderful. Wikipedia is better. And Google rules all....

You think too much.... absolute bull. Can't stand people like that. Turn their own values on them and they shouldn't have come up with that thought. They thought too much. :P

Excellent, another programmer. I wonder if there is a higher percentage of Objectivists in such fields as programming and math than there are in fields like literature or philosophy? Hmm, maybe not... there can't be that many Objectivist social workers, though. :lol:
I think engineers and related jobs require much more logic, since those people are dealing with relality directly (they solve real problems). And since this varies across all jobs, some jobs would indeed have more or less people agreeing/understanding Objectivism.

Those tanks have US flags on them... :) grr. Game looks good, but I'm not much of a gamer myself; I certainly don't know how to code them. I congratulate you.
Thanks. The art work wasn't finished, just as the project isn't finished. For now, it seems more of a research of one's ability. You'd surprised how many things we can do if we try. 3 years ago I wouldn't have imagine I could do this either.

You think too much.... absolute bull. Can't stand people like that. ... They thought too much. :P
Agreed. As I like to say: "Dumb think/work in mysterious ways"

... you sometimes put words in an unusual order. (English has, I think, some nasty peculiarities of word order.)
Hmm, I think you are right. I may have done that on purpose though, as I was describing my stream of thoughts, and using short half sentences. (Unless you refer to something else?)

I'm always amazed that any non-native English speaker could wade through Atlas Shrugged. Then I start thinking about the difficulty Ayn Rand must have had in writing it, since she was a non-native English speaker as well!
Yeah, reading "Atlas Shrugged" took plenty of runs to Google for "define: <this new word>" and using my linux KDE tool (kdict).

I think engineers and related jobs require much more logic, since those people are dealing with relality directly (they solve real problems). And since this varies across all jobs, some jobs would indeed have more or less people agreeing/understanding Objectivism.

It may depend on when they found Objectivism. If introduced to it early enough, I could see many dedicated Objectivists taking philosophical, political, or educational careers to help spread the philosophy. If introduced after they have already found the things they enjoy doing however, i would expect more in engineering and science than in other areas.

I see what you mean. Though a combination is possible as well. I'm one of those who discovered Objevitism after I've found things I like to do, and to be honest Objectivism didn't stand a chance, as at that age I wasn't able to think at the level required for grasp it appropriately.

So, instead I spread ideas of Objectivism individually. After all, many programmers wouldn't care to listen to philosophy major about Objectivism, as most philosophy seems to be way off somewhere from Objectivism and reality. However, they might listen more to a fellow programmer. :)