Objectivism Online Forum

Xmen 3

Rate this topic

"Is it good" = "Would an objectivist enjoy this movie?"

Judging by previous two films in this series it has a tendency to self-sacrifice, and mutants having to protect normal humans with their lives, even though those regular men didn't care for them. I would not see a need/reason to put my life at stake for the masses.

That said, according to the reviews, it offers some conclusion, so it might bring some changes.

Did it introduct any changes? Is the story and plot now closer to Objectivism values and approach?

In the previous movies there are a number of selfish reasons for protecting humans - preventing all out war between mutants and humans is one, the fact that some mutants have personal relationships with humans is another (Xavier and Moira McTaggart, for instance). There was, of course, some altruism depicted in the previous movies, but I didn't notice any in the third.

The storyline deviates greatly from the comic, but I am happy with the way they adapted it to the screen. I was very irritated with one instance of the bowling-strike sound effect, but otherwise I thought this movie was the best of the three. I didn't think they had a scene in the movie that wasn't important, which is probably why it is a lot shorter than most modern movies.

The special effects were well done, and there are a lot of them. If you don't like that kind of thing, this movie could irritate you.

If you go, remember to sit through the credits.

I was disappointed. It seemed to me like too many characters and scenes were crammed into too small a space. The plot just didn't seem to tie together well. You know how in good books and movies there are lots of little plot lines going on that all tie together into the main one... I just didn't see that with this movie. It seemed like it was just jumping from one scene to the next with an overemphasis on insignificant things (like rogue and her boyfriend).

In my opinion, as entertainment, modern movies like this are good. As art... different story. V for Vendetta and The Matrix are two of the few that I consider to have artistic merit.

I agree, tnunamak.

I thought it was a very hasty end to what started out as a great trilogy. But a trilogy wasn't what was really planned for, so thematically all three suffered.

It would have been great had the humans-vs-mutants motif been explored a bit further, as a primary theme throughout all 3 films. Heros should drive the plot, and the major conflict could have been the mutants seeking acceptance in a world of humans frightened of them. Of course, the Brotherhood would provide the obstacles that motivate the heros to victory ...

All of that was in there, but the viewer has to tie it together on his own. That kind of conceptual continuity was not imminently present in the first 2 films, and the hasty attempt to bring it all together in a climactic third film was clumsy at best. It would have been better if the producers had planned better from the beginning, weaving all 3 stories together as chapters of a larger story ... like Lord of the Rings or either Star Wars trilogy (especially Eps IV-VI).

X3 earns a C- in my gradebook. Not horrible, but worth renting on a rainy night when it comes to DVD. I can only hope that there are enough deleted scenes to save the film, and since it was under 2 hours in length, I suspect there will be plenty of them.

But there's hope yet - Superman Returns looks like it's going to be frikkin' unbelievably good. Brian Singer did so well with the first 2 X-Men movies that I can forgive his absence from X3 so he could direct it.

Oh, how we need Superman ... if you haven't watched the trailer it's here. If you don't get goosebumps, there's something wrong with you ... ;)

I was disappointed. It seemed to me like too many characters and scenes were crammed into too small a space. The plot just didn't seem to tie together well. You know how in good books and movies there are lots of little plot lines going on that all tie together into the main one... I just didn't see that with this movie. It seemed like it was just jumping from one scene to the next with an overemphasis on insignificant things (like rogue and her boyfriend).

In my opinion, as entertainment, modern movies like this are good. As art... different story. V for Vendetta and The Matrix are two of the few that I consider to have artistic merit.

That's exactly the impression that I got. It didn't really have the time to explore the themes it was addressing. It just had to rush on to the next thing.

As a cap to a trilogy it would be a disappointment. But IMO this is most definitively NOT the last X-men movie. The popular buzz of it being the last is either ignorance or manufactured to entice people into seeing the movie.

The ending in no way shape or form resolves the overall story of mutantkind. If this is the last one, then it's a gigantic gyp. So gigantic that I couldn't possibly think that it could be the last one.

(well, that and some stuff at the end... just before and just after the credits)

Viewed as a middle-of-the story movie, it's a bit reminiscent of Empire Strikes Back. (not to say it's as good as Empire...)

If another movie comes out, I don't expect that it will give a more definitive end to the mutant-human conflict. I honestly don't think that the studios will advance the story any further as an X-Men movie. A mutant is the ambassador to the UN, how much more acceptance can mutants find? Besides, the comics are still being sold today because they never really concluded the conflict. It would be interesting, but so would a prequel, and I don't expect that either.

I would like to see more crossovers to create a marvel movie universe like their comic universe. Marvel has done over ten movies recently with no character appearances from the other movies - even the Electra film did not have Daredevil in it. This isn't going to happen if they keep getting popular actors to do the films - it would cost way too much. The best I could hope for is that Mr. Fantastic will make Spidey a sonic weapon to take care of Venom in the next Spider-Man.

I'd like to see movies for Gambit and Dr. Strange and... Well, I guess I should stop before I spark a thread even I don't want to spend time on.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of the X-Men movies and I was a little disappointed by the movie, but that may be because I find Jean Grey to be one of the most annoying character's in movie history. I did think that they tried to pack to many characters into the movie so you really didn't care what happened to any of them. However I did like the line when Wolverine is in the danger room and is trying to do things his way and storm says "we work as a team" and wolverine says "Yeah...good luck with that."

I hate Jean Grey, she is my least-favorite X-Man. I could never understand what Wolverine saw in her; masochism, probably.

Anyway, I blogged about this movie a week ago, and that pretty well covers what I think.