Objectivism Online Forum

Hello Hello!

Rate this topic

Well, I joined yesterday by jumping straight into a topic about manners and how they apply to Objectivism, something which I've actually been researching a little lately (thank you, Google, for finding this for me!) It seems like there are some wonderfully logical people on this forum (even if I don't agree with all the views expressed.) I'm glad to be here.

Let's see here. What kind of things do you put into an introduction? I learned about Objectivism when a friend of mine gave me The Fountainhead. I'm an avid reader, and finished the book in a couple days, although I'm sorry to say that it didn't make much of an impact on me until a year later when I read it (and Atlas Shrugged) again. Damn books caused a breakup with the guy I had been thinking about marrying ;) (He's Christian, and after reading them I wasn't... and he follows his religion enough that he felt he couldn't marry outside his faith.) Thank you, Miss Rand, for helping me save myself from that one. Since then I've also read Anthem and The Night of January 16th, both of which I enjoyed thoroughly.

I can't claim to follow Objectivism to the letter. I was introduced to it fairly late in life, and have had some problems with learning how to truly love myself... but I'm getting there. I certainly enjoy my life now a lot more than I did before I was introduced to Objectivism. That's one of the things that makes me think Miss Rand got it right. Many people tell me Objectivism's a cult; my usual response is that it's no more of a cult than any other philosophy or (gasp!) religion, and it makes a lot more sense. Besides, who ever heard of a cult that encourages you to think for yourself?

What else can I tell you about me? If you've read the manners topic, you know I'm female, and you have probably figured out I'm not typical- been playing drums since 4th grade, help my dad with his woodworking hobby fairly often, am working towards a computer science degree. But who is typical, anyways? Let's see, what else... I like to read, write, draw... oh, wait. That's all in my profile. Go read it there.

If you're interested, I've written a few short essays on my deviantArt webpage that have some relation to Objectivism. Maybe I'll move them to my blog here; I don't know yet. They're in my journal section. I'll be writing more at some point. Wouldn't mind topic suggestions... ;) There's some poems and drawings on there that I like too... *nudge nudge* :P

I guess that's everything I feel like putting here. Talk to me! I like being social.

Damn books caused a breakup with the guy I had been thinking about marrying ;)
Dang. I was thinking about starting a thread asking people what changes Objectivism has brought into their life. Yours would be an awesome reply. I think this entitles you to start that thread.

I can't claim to follow Objectivism to the letter. I was introduced to it fairly late in life, and have had some problems with learning how to truly love myself... but I'm getting there.
Bah, it doesn't look like it's so late for you. Jugding from your journals on deviantart you were well on the way to Objectivism. Also take a look at the poll, we got here that will tell you when members have first read Ayn Rand's book.

...am working towards a computer science degree. But who is typical, anyways?
Indeed, CS for women is still a bit rare. And who would want to be typical anyway?

If you're interested, I've written a few short essays on my deviantArt webpage that have some relation to Objectivism. Maybe I'll move them to my blog here; I don't know yet.
You should. Those entries were fun to read.

I guess that's everything I feel like putting here. Talk to me! I like being social.
Trying to.

Oh, just noticed you have DDR in a list of your interests. How good are you? (playing on Hard?)

Thanks for the welcomes! :)

@Olex: Absolutely playing on heavy, though not always passing... I'll usually pass 8 foot songs. Best video game in existence (dare to disagree at your own peril!) :lol: I love Captain Jack's songs, though the 3rd Mix is my favorite. It sounds like you play... what mix do you like?

Unfortunately, those journal entries were written after my introduction to Objectivism, so they show nothing about my state of mind before that. I switched what, about 10 months ago now? Something like that? Glad you found them interesting, though. I enjoy writing essays like that, where no one can argue with me until after my point is stated fully :P

For my state of mind before Objectivism, think of a bookworm band geek girl who can't seem to do what her parents want her to, who had no idea what she herself wanted to do, and who was often depressed as a result, not to mention yelled at most of her life because she kept 'failing' until she had very little self-esteem, taking refuge in some unhealthy habits that only served to spiral her down further. Think Catherine Halsey, though I didn't have it as bad as she did. Wheee! Down the slippery slope we slide!

Now, though, I'm a bookworm (former) band geek woman who doesn't give a shit what her parents want her to do, happy with her life as it stands even though she's left one college with no idea as of yet what she'll do in the fall, with (most of) those unhealthy habits gone and forgotten and with more self-esteem than she's ever had. Found the staircase and starting to climb. It's been a long one, tho.

Dang. I was thinking about starting a thread asking people what changes Objectivism has brought into their life. Yours would be an awesome reply. I think this entitles you to start that thread.

The problem with me starting it is that people might not want to reply because the first post could trump those that may follow. Well, maybe not, idk... But if someone else starts it, I'll certainly post a fuller version of my story. :P

It sounds like you play... what mix do you like?
Heavy (8-9), I don't really concentrate on mixes, because I play through StepMania with USB pads, so all songs are at my disposal. That said some songs rock: KickTheCan, AfroNova, 321 stars, etc. And no doubt, DDR is awesome. :lol:

I enjoy writing essays like that, where no one can argue with me until after my point is stated fully :)
Yeah, no one can interject and say "Hold on, I need attention, so I will say X, Y, and Z"

For my state of mind before Objectivism, ... the staircase and starting to climb. It's been a long one, tho.
Dang, makes me feel good about growing up in family of engineers with no religion. This makes the path much shorter.

The problem with me starting it is that people might not want to reply because the first post could trump those that may follow.
I wouldn't worry about that. :P

Aah, Stepmania, I've just started using that. You've listed some of my own favorite songs, but I would have to add Exotic Ethnic, Matsuri Japan, Witch Doctor, and Theme from Enter the Dragon. And as said before, Captain Jack's stuff (Only You is just so happy-bouncy!) :) AfroNova is an excellent song, isn't it? Can't wait to get home from work today, a friend of mine is supposed to come over to play :lol:

been playing drums since 4th grade . . . Talk to me! I like being social.

You asked for it. :)

I too am musical. I mainly play bass, but can also do a little piano, guitar, and some drums. I play bass in a rock band whose CD I will tell you about until your ears bleed, and that I co-manage and co-produce. Before law school, I did my undergrad in your neighborhood, at the Berklee College of Music.

I like good drummers. Particularly, let's see, Carter Beauford, Danny Carey (sp?), Stewart Copeland, Mike Portnoy. Who are some of your favorites?

Bad drummers, on the other hand, can crawl into a corner and die. They ruin my funky bass groovaliciousness.

I don't really keep up with the music scene, so I don't know any names of good drummers, but the guy from Guster is crazy. And then of the entire drumline in Blast!. And Stomp, althought I haven't actually seen that yet (sob!), and then Blue Man Group. All good :) I'm more into percussion than set; a good battery is always fun, and a good mallet line is excellent, and I'm just impressed by any decent tympanist- I tried playing those once, they're ridiculous. All that tuning in the middle of the song without a tuner. In case you couldn't tell, it was marching band for me, not jazz band :P

What kind of music does your band do? 'Rock' is a little generic- what bands influenced you? Did you guys write everything yourselves? Composing's hard- I've got a couple friends who are good at it, but I've never quite figured it out myself.

Hey and welcome!

I'm sorry to say that it didn't make much of an impact on me until a year later when I read it (and Atlas Shrugged) again.

I can't claim to follow Objectivism to the letter. I was introduced to it fairly late in life, and have had some problems with learning how to truly love myself... but I'm getting there. I certainly enjoy my life now a lot more than I did before I was introduced to Objectivism.
Same here, working through all the problems my earlier bad philosophy gave me it's only now that I feel that I'm starting to integrate Objectivism.

Now, though, I'm a bookworm (former) band geek woman who doesn't give a shit what her parents want her to do, happy with her life as it stands even though she's left one college with no idea as of yet what she'll do in the fall, with (most of) those unhealthy habits gone and forgotten and with more self-esteem than she's ever had.

I can relate to your position because I'm in a similar one. I left college about two years ago but I'll be returning in september to resume my education, I'm not really looking forward to facing the tutors I feel I left down but I am looking forward to doing something constructive again.

Anyway, happy posting and play safe. :D

Damn books caused a breakup with the guy I had been thinking about marrying :P (He's Christian, and after reading them I wasn't... and he follows his religion enough that he felt he couldn't marry outside his faith.) Thank you, Miss Rand, for helping me save myself from that one.

Wow, talk about good timing! I've never been engaged, but I became an atheist after I read Atlas Shrugged, too. : )

I can't claim to follow Objectivism to the letter. I was introduced to it fairly late in life, and have had some problems with learning how to truly love myself... but I'm getting there.
Have you ever heard of Ellen Kenner? She's my favorite Objectivist "self-help" person. You can listen to her radio program ("The RATIONAL Basis of Happiness"® ) at that site, and there are lots of interesting articles.

Many people tell me Objectivism's a cult;

Tell them I said they're a cult. :P

What else can I tell you about me? If you've read the manners topic, you know I'm female, and you have probably figured out I'm not typical- been playing drums since 4th grade, help my dad with his woodworking hobby fairly often, am working towards a computer science degree.
Cool-- I played on the drum-line in school, too. Now I still do music (guitar, bass, drum machines, synthesizers, sing, etc), but it's not really in a known style. I'm influenced by bands like Cocteau Twins and Felt, and also early 20th century music (especially Viennese opperettas, and some early forms of "jazz").

But who is typical, anyways?

Nobody on this message board! :lol:

Good-- me too. Especially with nice, rational people. I've seen some of your posts here already, but I missed this introduction thread. So, welcome to the forum. : )