Objectivism Online Forum

Title Nine Running Rampant

Rate this topic

Title 9, more government sticking their noses in places where government noses don't belong. Recently in my home state of Oregon, there is a law suit (or a complaint i'm not completely sure which) against a school district for accepting sponsorships for mens athletics teams (free shoes etc. as a means for Nike and such companies to advertise their products) while the women's athletic teams don't get the same sponsorships, largely because it is not a big enough market to make the sponsorship profitable. So now public schools are faced with the choice of refusing the equipment (in exchange for advertisements) or not accepting any equipment sponsorships at all. This is while the Oregon school system is running itself into the ground with debt? I think someone in my state that can vote needs to wake up.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Yes: this is a classic case of divine retribution. Close the schools, and end all government involvement in education on way or the other. If the parents care enough about school athletics, they can pay for the requisite number of coaches and stadia. Or they can persuade some sponsor to do so, for example, I dunno, a shoe maker?

If this is a Title IX issue only (and not an analogous state law issue), it's hard to blame the school people on this one. They're probably just trying not to get reamed. Blame the federal lawmakers who made the law.
The schools do make choices, AFAIK. So, with emphasis added, "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance...". I would blame the federal lawmakers for making the law, for providing federal assistance and, of course, for authorizing the collection of taxes, and I would blame the state of Oregon for creating governmental schools, and allowing those schools to directly or indirectly receive federal aid, and for not allowing the charging of tuition necessary to cover costs, and I would blame the school district for becoming dependent on federal subsidies. Plenty of blame to go around. Federal funds are worse than heroin.