Objectivism Online Forum

Creeping Multiculturalism

Rate this topic

Charles T.

Read it and weep:

Mich. city council approves Muslim prayers

Hamtramck, MI, Apr. 21 (UPI) -- Mosques in the city of Hamtramck, Mich., will be allowed to broadcast their Muslim calls to prayer over loudspeakers.

The issue, which has divided many of the city's 23,000 Muslim and Christian residents, was approved by city council, the Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday.

The controversy centered on noise pollution and religious freedom and tolerance.

Those opposed to the measure said they didn't want Islamic beliefs imposed upon them [Ooooops. Wrong argument, folks. Try again. - CT]. The prayer, which is in Arabic, occurs five times a day between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Supporters said the issue is an Islamic tradition. They cited the city's church bells, which ring at least every hour, as comparable.

Opponents vow they will defeat the ordinance, possibly taking the issue into federal court.

Masud Khan of the Al-Islah Islamic Center said it took courage to approve the plan.

"Hamtramck is going to be a pioneer city for the whole United States," he said. [Let's hope not. It's all I can do to refrain from assaulting the drivers of cars with radios loud enough to shake my walls when they drive by. If I was forced to listen to Muslim prayers five times a day, I would destroy the loudspeakers. - CT]