Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Hip-hop Cd 5 By 5 Released On Cd Baby

Rate this topic

exaltron

Just wanted to let everyone know as I've had a few inquiries about it, my Objectivism-inspired hip-hop CD is now available through the online CD retailer CDBaby.com. They are a super-secure and reputable retailer and they accept all major credit cards. There are several long samples of the songs on the CD available on the CDbaby page. I have sold a handful of CDs directly so far to fans at shows and through MySpace.com and have received a lot of positive feedback about the music and especially the lyrics.

The title 5 by 5 is taken from an expression that I first was exposed to on the Objectivist Singles board. I researched it and discovered that it's a military term used in assessing radio signals: 5 by 5 means full clarity and full strength. So in writing the song 5 by 5, I used that idea as a metaphor to explore the massive possibility that I envision for a society that is totally free with a system of non-contradictory rights. The themes of freedom, purpose, rational thinking and righteous indignation at the claims of leftists that the interests of society should trump individual rights- all these are present throughout the album.

Anyway, there's lots more exaltron propaganda on my website- lyrics, photos, samples, performances, etc. Please feel free to ask me any questions on this thread about this project.

I normally don't like that style of music, but this stuff is really good! I just might order your CD! good job!

Ha, ha!! That seems to be the concensus among non-fans of hip-hop. Though I didn't set out to prove that "romantic hip-hop" music was possible (I suppose I knew it was or because I could hear it in my head), it's very gratifying to know that I can transcend the genre. Thanks for the kind words!!!

Awesome! I love the music: improvisational and "human" is the best way to do hip-hop IMO. I also like the vocals (nice vocoder work!) and lyrics, and think there's nothing wrong with rap (done right, of course) as a way of getting rational, pro-reason ideas to a larger audience than the oft-academic tone of Objectivist activists.

(ADD moment: should we do like Stephen Colbert and create a new word - 'Objectactivists'?)

Anyway, it may not be everyone's cup of joe, exaltron, but I dig what I hear on your MySpace page. You just sold a CD, sir!

Best wishes! :D

Thanks RI1138 and synthlord, and congratulations on your excellent taste in music! :D

The "Objectactivist" comment was hilarious, I love Stephen Colbert, even though I have to ignore some of the messages he skewers (his satire seems to lump together Atlas Shrugged with neoconservatism and the O'Reilly Factor. Whatever, keep laughing snarky leftists, keep pretending that sarcasm is the same as having ideas..

Well, I guess the rap has been good catharsis for my political frustrations :D The song "burnt" is the best example of this where I eviscerate Michael Moore and his ilk. But it's not really meant to be didactic or further a political agenda, it's really just expressing and glorifying my ideals. If that happens to spread objectivist ideas, of course that's cool too.

Thanks again for the support, feel free to leave some comments on the CDbaby page, everything helps!

Scott

• 1 month later...

Thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback, I think someone here even put me in their top four favorite CDs- wow, that's an honor!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am trying to get some chartage this month on CDbaby.com so that I can get a song featured on their annual compilation. So do I whine and beg and plead for your help? No way! I appeal to the self-interest of my customers and offer half-off the regular price of the CD!! So if you were thinkin' on it, now's your chance to take advantage of my greed :P

CDsale.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just in case anyone was racking their brains for stocking stuffers, I put my CD on super bargain-basement sale with a special discount for multiple copies (eg, get 10 copies for $40). Don't all your loved ones deserve to experience how exaltron "undermines the spineless with sublime rhymes and basslines"?

domokunholiday.gif

• 3 months later...
Just in case anyone was racking their brains for stocking stuffers, I put my CD on super bargain-basement sale with a special discount for multiple copies (eg, get 10 copies for $40). Don't all your loved ones deserve to experience how exaltron "undermines the spineless with sublime rhymes and basslines"?

domokunholiday.gif

Damn ill just pirate this shit up in here boi

I just bought 5x5 today. Excellent lyrics and wonderful instruments. It is definitely a new approach with hip-hop. I highly recommend it- legally

BTW, what is the name of the brown creature in your pictures? I see them all over the internet, but I've never known what they are.