Objectivism Online Forum

Why is capitalism better than communism?

Rate this topic

locke

I'm now 53 years old, and english is'nt my first language, and when I was young, we did'nt learn that much in school.

I was young in the late 60- and 70-, and became a communist when I was 19, at college.

Until the late 80', I was quite "red". It's not a period I want to talk much about, but I learned much there - but I also closed at lot of doors in my brain.

I have'nt been active in politics since early 90's, and from then, my social situation allowed me to study a lot more.

The first thing I read, was "The Wealth of Nations". I think the book was quite facinating, and I began thinking about my point of view. Is communism the answer?

For several years, I've been frustrated. The answer for me is either communism, or pure capitalism. Recently, I have'nt voted, because I don't belive in a "hybrid"-system - communism and capitalism combined, which all major partys support.

Now, I don't know. I somehow support the freedom aspect of capitalism, but I also think "Das Kapital" is the best text ever written to explain the market.

Just now, the thing that I hate most, is all the political parys that think communism and capitalism can be combined.

Can anyone tell me - why is capitalism better than communism, if a system which Marx describled, existed?

Hmm, actually in your situation I would definately suggest Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand, not only will capitalism at its base be explained but also Objectivism. Simply for the sake of convenience and being thorough, this book is your best choice as it will answer your questions step by step and from beginning to end. I would also suggest, after a reading of Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand, George Reisman's Capitalism which fleshes out the matter. It is available free online from capitalism.net(but as I said, read the other book first).

Can anyone tell me - why is capitalism better than communism, if a system which Marx describled, existed?

The second half is simple. It couldn't exist, because men are not ants.

The first half is more complex. People have observed that capitalism gives men motivation, whereas in communism one need not work hard. They have said that capitalism enables more efficient resource allocation, whereas communism's central planners don't even know who needs what. They have written that capitalism provides a mechanism for savings and investment, where communism consumes the "seed grain" and causes a famine next year. They have noted that capitalism allows and encourages innovation, whereas communism seeks to fulfill "needs" that are predefined. They have conceded that capitalism creates wealth, whereas communism is based on a false zero-sum notion and thus destroys it. They have even acknowledged that capitalism produces food and prosperity, whereas communism has achieved only starvation.

But outside Objectivism, you won't find the real argument. Capitalism is the only *moral* system because it's based on the inalienable individual rights of life, liberty, and property. A man owns his own body, life, mind, actions, and the tangible and intellectual property he creates. Any attempt to "redistribute" this is merely theft (and, as the above arguments have shown, such theft destroys the goose who lays the golden eggs). Stripped of its jargon and Big Lies, communism is thuggery. Stealing is the basis of the whole thing. And of course there are all those people who need killing, because they shouldn't have gone and objected to the stealing.

Now, I don't know. I somehow support the freedom aspect of capitalism, but I also think "Das Kapital" is the best text ever written to explain the market.

Based on this, I would guess that you already understand that Capitalism is the only moral system, but do not understand that this means that it is the only practical system. Read OPAR, as suggusted by Jason Fowler, it should (at least) give you a basis by which you may see why this is the case.

If you think Das Kapital is the best book ever written to explain the market, you had better read Capitalism by George Reisman. It's the most comprehensive economic treatise on Capitalism I know of, comparable in size to The Wealth of Nations and Das Kapital. You should also read Human Action by Ludwig von Mises.

They-- Capitalism and Human Action -- are far superior to Das Kapital in explaining in detail how capitalism is superior to communism in every way, from its moral foundation of individual rights to its phenomenal ability to continuously increase labor productivity and thereby enrich everyone involved.

As for the gist of the moral argument, read what others have already recommended--namely, Virtue of Selfishness, Capitalism: the Unknown Ideal, OPAR, and of course, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

You may want to start by explaining why the definition of capitalism belongs to philosophy, not economics. And if that doesn’t seem obvious to you, you really should read _Capitalism, the Unknown Ideal_

This is like asking “Why is reason superior to faith if a system, which the Bible describes, existed?”

Such an epistemology is flawed from the start because you can only validate a theory by reference to reality, not other theories.

This is like asking “Why is reason superior to faith if a system, which the Bible describes, existed?”

Such an epistemology is flawed from the start because you can only validate a theory by reference to reality, not other theories.

I like to call these kinds of things "'2+2 = 5' questions". The right response to them is to point out that the underlying premise is false. Sure, if 2+2 were five, then 2+2 would be five -- but it isn't. If the world were really the way the Bible described, faith would be superior to reason -- but it isn't. If economics and history worked the way Marx claimed they did, communism would be a morally superior system -- but they don't and it isn't.

The facts that make capitalism morally superior to communism are the same facts that make it impossible for communism to exist and function the way Marx said it would.