Objectivism Online Forum

Houston Objectivism Society

Rate this topic

Bold Standard

The Houston Objectivism Society (HOS) has recently updated their website. Now it contains info about upcoming meetings and events. The soonest meeting will be July 8th (a presentation about Sam Walton). After that, on July 29th (a presentation on architecture.)

Maybe I'll see some of you there! (If I don't end up having to work those days).

The topic strikes me as a good new idea for local groups.

Yes, maybe I should add to this thread whenever news of new meetings comes up.

Between you guys and the NTOS, Texas Objectivists seem to be "full steam ahead".

I think it's exciting. And don't forget Tara Smith's (from UT Austin) recently getting published by Cambridge University Press. Yay, Texas Objectivists. :lol: <--(party hat + fire cracker)

Edited by Bold Standard

• 1 month later...

Just posting a reminder that HOS is meeting tomorrow, Saturday, July 29, at 6:30 pm. It is going to be a presentation on architecture, in which architectural principles will be discussed, and also some slides will be shown, many of which will feature Houston architecture.

The next meeting has been scheduled for Saturday, August 26, and will feature 4-6 reviews of recent books and/or lectures published by the Ayn Rand Bookstore.

• 1 month later...

Dr. Tara Smith is going to speak at the Houston Objectivism Society, on October 14th!! It's going to be 35$ for adults, and 25$ for full time students to get in. Here's the blurb from the HOS webpage:

Dr. Tara Smith, philosophy professor at UT, is scheduled to give a talk to the Houston Objectivism Society on October 14th at 7:30 p.m. on "Why Originalism Won't Die." Here's her description of the talk:

The basic idea of originalism is that judges should be bound, in their interpretations and rulings, by the law as written. A bit more precisely, one can describe it as the thesis that the meaning of the Constitution should be settled by reference to the "original understanding" of those who enacted it. In the debate over proper judicial interpretation of the law, the doctrine of Originalism has been subjected to numerous, seemingly fatal criticisms. Despite the exposure of flaws that would normally bury a theory, however, Originalism continues to attract tremendous support, seeming to many to be the most sensible theory on offer. This talk examines its resilient appeal (with a particular focus on Scalia’s Textualism). By surveying and identifying the fundamental weaknesses of three of the leading alternatives to Originalism (Popular Will theory, Dworkin’s value theory, and Judicial Minimalism), the talk demonstrates that the heart of Originalism’s appeal rests in its promise of objectivity. The talk also establishes, however, that Originalism suffers from a misguided conception of what objectivity is. All camps in this debate, in fact, suffer from serious misunderstandings of the nature of objectivity.

[edited to add student admission price]

Edited by Bold Standard

You can e-mail HOS at [email protected], or, if you don't hear back from them fast enough, PM me for more information and directions.

Thanks! I posted the fact that she will be giving a talk at on our local NTOS meetup discuss board, and directed people to visit the site for more information as well. Perhaps others would be interested in making the trip down there as well.

Edited by Sherry