Movies: Kill Bill

Rate this topic

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jrshep
jrshep,

Do you ever write something other than ...deleted... ?

Yes, sometimes. (But I think you know that.)

Actually, I "edited" several posts I had made after deciding that they were pointless, assuming that the moderators would actually delete them if I replaced the content with "...deleted..." since I didn't see a method of deleting them myself.

Is there a way to actually delete a post one has made?

Actually, I "edited" several posts I had made after deciding that they were pointless, assuming that the moderators would actually delete them if I replaced the content with "...deleted..." since I didn't see a method of deleting them myself.

Is there a way to actually delete a post one has made?

I do not know what the forum moderation policy is, but I would be against posters editing the actual content of their previous posts. I think perhaps spelling corrections are justifiable, but actually changing the content is changing the historical record. We are judged by what we say and others respond in their posts accordingly. Changing the posts after the fact, alters the facts.

If someone changes his mind about something he said, he can always write a new post indicating so. I think it might be better to remove the editing feature entirely, at least for regular posters.

p.s. I also think it is okay to delete duplicate posts, which duplication occasionally occurs.

Guest jrshep
I do not know what the forum moderation policy is, but I would be against posters editing the actual content of their previous posts. I think perhaps spelling corrections are justifiable, but actually changing the content is changing the historical record. We are judged by what we say and others respond in their posts accordingly. Changing the posts after the fact, alters the facts.

If someone changes his mind about something he said, he can always write a new post indicating so. I think it might be better to remove the editing feature entirely, at least for regular posters.

p.s. I also think it is okay to delete duplicate posts, which duplication occasionally occurs.

Stephen, your suggestions seem sensible. I'll not "delete" any more posts, and I'll just make a point to only post if I really care to leave it indefinitely, and I'll leave it to the moderators to decide what they will keep or not. (Some of my messages that I deleted, others had actually replied to and quoted the significant part of what I had said, so I assumed that would suffice any interest in a historical record.)

This is only the second forum I've participated in, and I don't have a great deal of experience with them, and don't have a good understanding of the expectations. I assume that this forum is moderated differently, now that this has become an issue, from my previous forum wherein the moderators would delete and edit posts at their pleasure and without explanation. I'm learning.

Stephen, your suggestions seem sensible. I'll not "delete" any more posts, and I'll just make a point to only post if I really care to leave it ...

John, I did not mean my comments to be directed towards you. I was really addressing the moderators, and I should have listened to my inner voice which said: "Start a separate thread, dummy!" :lol:

I think the policy in regard to editing should be stated clearly as a matter pertaining to all in the forum, not just you and me. I will start a thread in the "About the Website" forum, and perhaps we can then get a global policy that applies to all.

Guest jrshep

Stephen,

I appreciate your further comments. Thank you for taking the time.

I certainly assumed that you were directing your comments towards me, but again, I think your comments were sensible, even if directed towards me. So, no problem.

I also agree with you with regard to forum policy, and I think that your idea about starting a thread concerning it might be well worthwhile. It would be good to have a clear understanding of what's expected and why, and what is necessary to make this a pleasant forum.

John

• 2 years later...

It is refreshing to see fellow Objectivists appreciate Kill Bill as much as I do. KBv1 and KBv2 - separately and/or together - are, quite simply, the best movie ever made. I remain awestruck at the perfection. The precision. The integration. The style.

As noted by Ebert: a movie isn't necessarily about WHAT it is about -- it is about HOW it is about it.

Execution is everything.

No pun intended.