Objectivism Online Forum

Have you heard of this movie "Homecoming?"

Rate this topic

Mideasterner1974

Have you guys heard of this movie "Homecoming?" It's really fascinating to me. Apparently, it's a horror film set during the Iraqi war, while a "Texas-born" president is running for re-election. Suddenly, the soldiers killed in the war rise from the dead and begin rampaging all over the US, their only purpose... to vote. And, they all vote Democrat. It's a unique concept and it's no small film. Apparently, it was part of Showtime's "Masters of Horror" series and it's even directed by Joe Dante (Gremlins, Innerspace)!

Part of me finds it really exciting that a movie this partisan could be a horror film, but part of me sees it as just politics going where politics doesn't belong.

Has anyone seen this film? Is it any good? What do you guys think about a partisan B-movie?

As I understand, horror films have found ways to be "political" in ways that people would not expect them to. The original Dawn of the Dead had the zombies make it into the mall where the heroes were hiding, and the zombies move around the mall and up and down the escalators looking. The effect was that the zombies were not acting differently in that environment then how humans would be expected to act (aimless wandering in the mall, looking dumbfounded at it all, etc) a critique of sorts against consumerist culture. A similar technique is used at the beginning of the hillarious "Shaun of the Dead".

Your particular example though, seems more intent on beating you over the head with the message, somewhat without creativity as well.

It was far worse than a bad movie. I like b movies, and this was just jingoistic crap. I personally like the zombie genre so I did check it out. I think if they had a blinking neon sign saying "message", it would not have been as obvious as the story itself.

Yes, the dead come back to vote and then collapse and die. Of course sinister scientists and spin doctors try to spin the return of the dead but there is also a blatantly obvious Sidney Sheehan character.

Dawn of the Dead and the Romero descendants had a very real political and social message and managed to get it across without being so blatant.

Edited by scottkursk

Weren't the dead allowed to vote at certain times in a certain big city sitting by a certain lake?

Ha ha. Very true. Chicago does have a tradition of people loving the democratic process so much that they keep voting even after they die.