Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

Cnqwst

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Beautiful. The way the artist did her gaze, so direct and penetrating. Just amazing. Don't think that this can be captures simply by copying the picture.

Who IS the artist?

Ifat

I drew this drawing as a commission for a webmaster at another Objectivist forum. He used the small icon image on the front page of the forum. The original was 11 x 14 on bristol board.

I also drew a portrait of Edward James Olmos, (Actor on Miami Vice, Stand and Deliver, Selena) & presented it to him in person.

Cnqwst

Awesome. Is it on purpose that the gaze is looking past the viewer?

Olex,

The reference photo I had was from the back of a book. The detail was really not there, so I tried to come as close to it as I could. Of all the photos that I have seen of Mrs. Rand, I felt this one portrayed the look of a quiet confidence.

It was this photo.

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pag...aynrand_gallery

Cnqwst

do you have more drawings or paintings to show? I'd be happy to see them.

Ifat

I quit drawing about 4 years ago. Other interests at the moment, ( Writing applications for PalmOne handhelds, Developing strength training system for World's Strongest Men trainees, Motorcycle travels around the US).

Here is a site that still has some of my older work.

http://www.angelfire.com/nm/riospencilart/

Cnqwst

• 6 months later...
You have a great technique. What is the reason why you drew celebrities?

Sorry about the slow reply,

Portraiture is the most difficult / rewarding art subject.

If you get the eyes wrong, or any other facial feature it would not look like them.

Portraits have also produced the most income.

Drawing an animal, building, boat or other subject is relatively easy compared to portraits.

If I can see it I can draw it, however I have a difficult time drawing from memory.

I have drawn bolts / screws / architecture blueprints in drafting class & they all seem boring.

I also don't like to draw the same subject twice.

Bob

You are very talented! :)

Thank you for the kind words Mimpy.

Haven't drawn in years, I still fight A'ist tendencies as I have given a lot of artwork away.

In the Fountainhead, Howard Roark would not design what his clients wanted, if it did not make logical sense to him.

Still learning the O'ist way of life.!

wow cnqst great drawing! how did you manage to capture her eyes so well? you didn't know her personally? Did you use another model for the facial expression? you definately can't get that from copying a photo

Hey Marty,

Actually copied Ayn's pic from the back of a book. I've had to use "artistic license" on quite a few portraits because the detail is just not there.

I drew the entire portrait with one pencil, A Pentel Techniclick 0.7 w/ #2B lead.

The better the reference photo the easier the drawing. I would have liked to have come across Mrs. Rand's philosophy earlier, I think I like most others that enjoy Mrs. Rand's writing feel like we do know her.

Live Well,

Bob