Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings from the people`s state of Israel

Rate this topic

My name is Yaniv and I live in a medieval town in southern Israel.

My neighbourhood has slogans sprayed demanding that "all children's afternoon courses be subsidized".

I'm a victim of Israel's "progressive" tax system with over 50% of my labour (and thus my life) forced down the toilet,

and a former victim of Israel's mandatory forcefully-coerced military service.

Iv`e been fighting collectivism since elementary school, when my teacher demanded that we do volunteer work. I`m now 25 years old and getting my philosophy integrated and debugged.

I was introduced to AR reading a book by Dr. Moshe Kroy, the only objectivist teacher to ever work for an Israeli university. his book titled "Living by the means of your brain" was the rational equivalent of a holy enlightment to me.

I was introduced to AR reading a book by Dr. Moshe Kroy, the only objectivist  teacher to ever work for an Israeli university. his book titled "Living by the means of your brain" was the rational equivalent of a holy enlightment to me.

I had never heard of Kroy before, and I was not able to locate the book title you mention, but the first book which came up did not seem too promising. The title is "Beyond Being and Nothingness: Introduction to Transpersonal Phenomenology." However, this was offset by another book titled "Rational Existence ... the conditions for objective happiness." This latter was in Hebrew.

Unfortunately, there was little descriptive information about either book. I will see if I can find some papers by Moshe Kroy. Since you know of him, and perhaps knew him personally, would you say that he was somewhat mixed in his philosophical views, as might be implied from the little I found?

Yaniv,

Kroy's book - Chaim Al Pi HaSechel (The Rational Existence) is not so bad, and is almost acceptable as an introduction to Objectivism. But I have to warn you that Kroy himself is far from being an Objectivist. He turned an avowed mystic in later years - publishing books on the war of Light and Darkness, on the existence of an immortal soul, and the "rationality of mysticism".

He became a paranoid, was sure that the government (who are actually puppets of Satan) are trying to kill him. He immigrated to Australia and opened a "healing clinic" where he helped people exorcise their inner demons.

Eventually he came back to Israel, talking about the end of the world, and the last battle of Light and Darkness. He was then found dead, by his own hands, in his appartment in Tel-Aviv.

For a short time in the 70s he was a very popular philosophy professor in the Tel-Aviv University, and then he promoted Objectivism, with some degree of accuracy. But then all hell broke loose.

If you want to debug your philosophy, after reading Kroy, I suggest you turn quickly now to Ayn Rand's own writing. Fiction and non-fiction. I think you will find that the main difference between Kroy's The Rational Existence and Rand's own works is the air of paranoia that surrounds the first, which does not exist in the later.

Also, Rand was much better at presenting her ideas!

• 1 month later...

Hello Yaniv,

Nice to know of another Israeli Objectivist. Where do you live(curious about that medieval town, which one is it? :) )

I'm looking forword to reading your posts in the forum.

Kol tuv...

Dolev

Btw, if your'e interested(and you seem interesting), my messenger name is like my nick in here- d180586.

• 2 years later...

I searched for members from Israel on this forum, and found quite a few. Most are inactive nowadays.

Here is the list I found:

Erez Tal

A.A

Alon Tzin

BannanaBird

grosz

RationallySelfish

Razi

Labor omnia vincit

Yaniv (the one who started this thread).

Ifat (myself).

AwakeAndFree used to live in Israel (not anymore. too bad, great poster).

The active ones that I know of are myself (Ifat), Alon Tzin (who studies at the same school as I do :) ), and also A.A (that I see from time to time).

Is there anyone else here from Israel?

FYI: There is going to be a lecture by Yaron Brook in Israel on June 18th (2007): Here are the details.

• 4 weeks later...
Nopers. Couldn't make it. You? And if you were, how was it?

It was nice. It was in a military-oriented room, just outside an actual military base, which was surprising. Dr Brook said the things that sound quite basic to me, but that need to be said these days because they have been forgotten- that the western world is in a war, and that in order to win, the west needs to remember what the values it is fighting for are. And the very basic fact that in a war there are casualties. That was the very basic gist of it. For a more detailed summery you can look here: http://israblog.nana.co.il/blogread.asp?bl...logcode=6763958

(Unlike Avi, I don't know much about military strategy, so I prefer not to write about it- look at the comments too)

It was very interesting to hear (as opposed to read) basic rational arguments such as these in a lecture.

Edited by A.A