Objectivism Online Forum

Your favourite bits of 'useless information'

Rate this topic

Ranil

I often get told that I know too much 'useless information'. I counter this by saying that such information is not useless at all. For example, If every one of the world's 6.5billion people were to move to Texas, the population density would be 9344 people per square kilometre. This is still less than the population density of New York City and only 38% of the population density of Paris. I like to pull this bit of information out whenever someone tries to say that we are 'running out of space' on earth.

OK, your turn. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm, useless trivia... I used to have a couple small books of that. Here's a few tidbits I still remember. (Not guaranteed to be entirely accurate, since my memory isn't always reliable :D )

~A thirsty camel can drink up to 8 gallons of water in one minute.

~The giraffe used to be called a cameleopard, as it was believed to be a cross between a camel and a leopard.

~President Taft once got stuck in the White House bathtub.

~Covering your mouth when you sneeze, and the 'God bless you' from others that often results, began as a superstition that your soul could escape when you sneezed, and the devil could enter.

~People who are afraid of the number 13 are called triskaidekaphobes. Most hotels do not have a 13th floor.

~October 5th 1582 through the 14th did not exist in Catholic countries- they were skipped, by order of Pope Gregory the 13th, due to the buildup of error using the Julian calendar.

Dave Barry made up a silly term for this sort of information (like memorizing the theme song to "The Beverly Hillbillies"): Brain Sludge. He blames it for increasingly poor memory late in life: you can't remember what you need to remember because your brain is busy remembering all this stuff you don't need and never will. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...