Objectivism Online Forum

Music Videos

Rate this topic

Tryptonique

I think a lot of us have seen music videos at some time or another. Which ones do you really think are high quality?

Some Music Vids that I really enjoy are:

1) "Fiction" -Orgy

2)"Tear Away" -Drowning Pool

This song has the seven most beautiful words I have heard in a modern rock song

("I don't care about anyone else but me") as its chorus.

3) "1979" - The Smashing Pumpkins

What would you guys add to the list (or what do you think about the ones I mentioned)?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be hard-pressed to name any music videos that I would consider "great," but there are a few that I think are interesting or enjoyable for various reasons. Off the top of my head, there are a couple parts of the video for Radiohead's "Street Spirit" that are really cool, and I can't help but laugh whenever I see the one for Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing." The video for Our Lady Peace's "In Repair" is certainly unique. Oh, and a couple of other funny ones are Tenacious D's "Tribute" and "F*** Her Gently." I'm sure there are a few that are a lot better than the ones I've mentioned here that I'll kick myself later for not mentioning, but basically these are just some that I find interesting or entertaining--not that I necessarily think are really good.

I agree with Street Spirit and Blur's Coffee and TV. Radiohead's "Go To Sleep" is also quite good, along with Karma police. "Rabbit in your headlights" by UNCLE and Thom Yorke drom Radiohead is awesome.

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight.

1979 was a little underwhelming I thought - especially towards the end.

As far as great music video I think there are a few, who could forget Michael Jackson's "Thriller"? You just can't beat dancing zombies. Then there is A-Ha's classic "Take On Me", that was a great video.

Bjork has some pretty fantastic videos. I can't even decide which one I like the most, probably "It's Oh So Quiet". The White Stripes have also been doing some amazing stuff, especially "The Hardest Button to Button" video. Really, anything by directors Chris Cunningham, Michael Gondry, and Spike Jonze is going to be good.

I have never been all that excited about Radiohead videos. I love their music, I think the O.K. Computer might be one of the greatest rock records of all time, but their videos just never seemed to fit for me.

Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealin" also a classic, but I am a ridiculous Jane's Addiction fan, for obvious reasons.

1979 was a little underwhelming I thought - especially towards the end.
Yeah...definitely true. I was a bit hasty. I'm a MAJOR Pumpkins fan, though.

I love everything from Gish to Machina II.

Some favorite Pumkin songs of mine would be:

Mayonaisse, Pug, To Sheila, Tristessa, I am One, 1979, Eye, Perfect....I could go on for DAYS with half of the SP catalog.

When it comes to videos...I guess a better one than 1979 would be "Bullet with Butterfly Wings."

Have you seen that?

"Tonight, Tonight" and "Today" were also really great.

but I am a ridiculous Jane's Addiction fan, for obvious reasons.

What do you think of the new album with "Just Because" on it?

I think the O.K. Computer might be one of the greatest rock records of all time, but their videos just never seemed to fit for me.

I like some Radiohead.

Namely: "Idioteque" "let down" "Climbing up the walls" "Karma Police" "Exit music for a film" and "Airbag."

As for their videos...I agree.

I saw the video for "Knives out" and went..."what the hizzle?"

Yes, I think Knives out was created simply to confuse everyone. (This is what I don't like about Radiohead). It was directed by Gondry, I believe.

As for the Smashing Pumpkins, I'd say I'm a moderate fan in that I think that they are one of the best singles bands in History (Today, Disarm, 1979, Tonight Tonight, Perfect, etc), but none of their albums as wholes really satisfied me. For instance, I thought Mellon Collie had way too much filler material. (How many songs about going to sleep do you need!!?? :P ). Adore I think was ruined by the whole electronic / minimalistic thing they tried to do. I listened to a couple of songs off one of the Machinas, but they didn't do much for me. I have seen the video for Bullet with Butterfly wings, but I didn't like it. Too angry and pointless for my liking, which I guess was their point. ('Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage').

By the way, are you familiar with a band called the Postal Service?

Yup.

You familiar with Death Cab for Cutie? *smile.*

I agree with your assesment of the Pumpkin's albums and filler material

There are gems on most of the albums, though.

You might consider (if you haven't already) investing in "Rotten Apples"...their greatest hits CD.

Here are some recommendations from the albums you mentioned:

Adore:

- "To Sheila" =I found this song to be amazingly beautiful poetry with some great vocal harmonies and overlays. The acoustic guitar was really neato, in my opinion.

- "Daphne Decends" = I like the Western cowboy feel of this song mixed with the romantic lyrics. This song reminds me a bit of Kill Bill 2 (the relationship between The Bride and Bill).

Check these lyrics:

"Daphne Descends"

With the sugar sickness

You spy the kidnap kid

Who kids you to oblivion

It's the perfect hassle

For the perfumed kiss

He makes you miss him more than home

You love him

You love him more than this

You love him and you cannot, you can't resist

You love him

You love him for yourself

You love him and no one, no one else

Past sidewalk ashes

A last lovers arc

You come apart to intertwine

It was all so simple

As you watched him move

Across the darkness in your room

You love him

You love him for youself

And the winding vines

The pretty boys dive

And thru the pinhole stars

Into the shadow mind

You will lose him then

On some gentle dawn

This boy is here and gone

You love him

You love him for yourself

You love him

You love him more than this

You love him and you cannot, you can't resist

You love him...

I'm quite romantic....and the music that goes with that is in my opinion...really really brilliant at establishing that romantic "I'm in love" feeling. The lyrics aren't the Pumpkins best lyrical work by any means. The lyrics also aren't very complicated or complex, but combined with the music, they do some really great things as Romantic Realist art.

"Pug" - Cool beat. This song could have been written for a T.V show or movie like Alis if it were set in the year 2090.

Machina:

"Stand inside your love" = another one of my favorite love songs

"raindrops + sunshowers" = another cool Machina song

Let me know what you think if you ever get a chance to listen to any of those songs.

-Evan

Evan, yes, I'm familiar with Deathcab for cutie. I haven't listened to them for a while though. At the moment I have 4 CD's in rotation:

- Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power

- Kill Bill Vol. 1 soundtrack.

- Ed Harcourt - Here be monsters. (some of the songs on this album are great for being in love)

- Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

(I'm in a very happy mood these days and these albums complement my mood well).

I bought Rotten Apples a couple of years ago when it first came out and have listened to it extensively. Although I must confess that I haven't really paid much attention to the second disc featuring B-sides. I also have Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness and Adore.

To Shiela is an epic love song, I agree, and I can see the connection between Kill Bill and Daphne Descends, but it's not one of my favourites.

Stand Inside your Love is a song I'm pretty familiar with, because it's on Rotten Apples, and I do like it quite a bit. The film clip isn't bad either. I also don't mind Try Try Try, although I think it pales in comparison to their earlier work.

I remember when Rotten Apples came out in 2000:)

I only bought the one with the greatest hits on it...and not the one with the attached B-sides.

I had a friend who burnt me his copy of the B-sides and I was NOT impressed at all.

I never listened to it at all.

The music video for Stand Inside your Love isn't bad. It gets a little weird with the fat S&M man....but it isn't aweful.

I just with they would have done this song more justice on film.

What do you think makes a good film clip?

For me, it's one that complements the song, but adds something to the song at the same time, simply because a film clip is on a different medium, and therefore the advantages of that medium offers should be exploited. This is why I love Radiohead's Street Spirit - because it translates the mood of the song into the clip, but the idea of the world moving at different speeds adds something to the song - to the point where if I listen to Street Spirit now, I can't help but feel that the whole world is moving slower around me than it normally does.

I get frustrated with film clips that almost seem to follow its respective song word for word in a very literal way.

I agree 100%.

Blur's "Cofee and T.V" video is not what I was feeling or picturing in my head at all:)

PRETTY PLEASE could you check out the Orgy video and let me know what you think of it on an aesthetic level?

You have to have Windows Media Player...so I don't know if that might pose a problem.

I love the art direction...and I like Orgy's synths as well.

One of the rock bands I like quite a bit :D

I don't know if you remember my original avatar (it was animated). Some of the people complained cause it was HUGE.

That avatar was taken from the Orgy video.

I got compliments from a couple of people though who wanted to know where it was from :pimp:

In response to Tryptonique about my feelings on the Jane's Addiction's new album "Strays", I think it can't even hold a candle to their first three records, and I do not like it at all.

Concerto of Atlantis, you have great taste in music! That Super Furry Animals record is great and Yoshimi is my favorite record of 2003. If you are looking for interesting good mood music I have some suggestions for you.

Grandaddy - Under the Western Freeway (or any Grandaddy album will do)

Beulah - The Coast is Never Clear

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World

Spoon - Girls can Tell, or Kill the Moonlight

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Pig Lib

Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?

If you don't have the Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin, you should go and buy it today, it is such an amazing record. I could go on and on (I'm a former manager of a record store and more than a little obsessed with music) but I will stop now.

OK, back from work.

Tryp, I tried to watch the video, but trying to load it made my Internet Explorer crash 5 times. :D (Although I have broadband, my computer is pretty old and slow). Then I tried to download it off Kazaa, but I couldn't find it. I'll watch it tomorrow at my girlfriend's house (she has a nice new computer) and let you know what I think.

By the way, my name is Ranil and I will add you to my MSN list.

Janie,

Thank you. From your recommendations, I can say the same about you. :pimp:

"Grandaddy - Under the Western Freeway": Yes, I have heard this one, but don't own yet. I do have 'The Sophtware Slump" and listen to it quite regularly. I have been meaning to buy "Sumday", but haven't gotten around to it yet. They played in Melbourne a couple of nights ago, but unfortunately I'm a bit short of cash at the moment and didn't get to go to the gig.

"Beulah - The Coast is Never Clear": Haven't heard of this one, will add it to my list to listen to.

"The Shins - Oh, Inverted World": Good music. :D

"Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?" This too, has been recommended to me by a few knowledgeable people. I'll check it out.

I have the Soft Bulletin and share your sentiments.

I've also been listening to Talkie Walkie by Air quite a bit recently too. And I need to buy the new Modest Mouse album. So much choice, so little money at the moment. :)

Modest Mouse is pretty cool.

I saw a funny group from New Zealand in concert a while ago. They are called Steriogram.

Have you heard of them, Ranil?

They are like a mix of The Beastie Boys and Sum 41. I wouldn't really recommend them, but I thought it was interesting that a NZ band is making it in the US.